ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Continuous Rasterization Precomp messes up position and animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Crews
Continuous Rasterization Precomp messes up position and animation
on May 29, 2014 at 2:52:13 am

I have a pre comp with tons of layer for my animation, in which I've comped a girl on green screen into a CG environment. The whole scene is tracked to follow the footage of the girl. In the master comp, I'm trying to fake a zoom info her eye to reveal a logo "inside" of her eye.
The problem is when I turn on Continuous Rasterization to keep the precomp crisp on the zoom-in, the logo jumps position. When Continuous Rasterization is off, the logo is fine. I've even tried copying my logo layer and camera & pasting into my master comp, but it still loses it's position info when it's Continuously Rasterized.
I'm attaching 2 pics to show what I'm talking about. The lo-res image (on left) has the logo in correct position, and the Continuous Rasterization is turned off. The hi-res image has Continuous Rasterization turned on, but logo moves.
If someone can help, I owe you big!

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
Re: Continuous Rasterization Precomp messes up position and animation
on May 30, 2014 at 9:44:43 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Marshall on May 30, 2014 at 10:04:35 pm

Josh:

That little "sun" button does different things depending on what kind of layer it's being applied to.

If it's vector artwork it will continuously rasterize the artwork, so you can scale it up way beyond its original size, and it will still stay sharp. This button becomes inactive for bitmapped images, like a JPG or PSD.

Activating that "sun" button on a precomp does not, technically, continuously rasterize that comp. It collapses the geometrics, meaning the scale and transform functions are sort of passed through to your master comp. It can have the same sort of result as collapsing geometrics.

For instance, say you had an image that was 2000x2000, and you scaled it down to 10% in a 200x200 comp. If you bring that comp back as a layer into a 2000x2000 master comp it would look sharp as long as it wasn't scaled more than 100%. If you tried to scale that 200x200 precomp up to fill your master comp (1000% scale) it would look very soft and crappy. Your 2000x2000 image is being scaled down to 10% in your precomp and then blown up 1000% in your master comp.

Activating collapse geometrics in your master comp allows your 2000x2000 image to pass through cleanly from your precomp to your master without those scaling artifacts. It will also ignore the boundaries of that 200x200 precomp, so if your image bled outside your comp those areas would now be visible in your master.

Getting to your problem, the kind of offset you're seeing can manifest when you collapse the geometrics of a comp that has a 3D camera within a master comp that has its own 3D camera. By collapsing the geometrics the 3D camera in your precomp will be ignored. To keep everything sharp you'd have to scale everything up to its final full size in your precomp (you can do this by parenting everything to a null and scaling that up) and bring that into your final comp WITHOUT Collapse Geometrics activated.

Good luck.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Josh Crews
on May 30, 2014 at 10:16:12 pm

Thanks so much for that info Shawn.
I do understand what you're saying about the cam in a pre-comp being overridden the cam in the master comp. I've simplified my comp to trouble shoot this exact issue, however my logo is still jumping position on the zoom-in.
I have a master comp that contains my 3d cam move with the composited footage and CG environment elements and another precomp with the logo in it. The logo precomp's layer have continuous rasterization on, as they're vector files, so I also have collapse transformation turned on in the main comp to keep the resolution full during the zoom in.
The way I'm trying to pull off the zoom is by parenting both of these precomps to a null and scaling up until the logo is full frame. For some reason, when I scale up, the logo doesn't retain it's position. If I turn off collapse transformation button, it's fine, but of course it loses it's quality.
have noticed that I get rid of the cam's point of interest, it seems to fix the problem. But I need to leave that on, as the point of interest is tracked with my shot.
It's pretty challenging to explain, so I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any other solutions.

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on May 30, 2014 at 10:43:45 pm

So your logo comp and CG comp are both 3D layers, parented to a 3D null and being scaled in a master comp?

Are all three layers at the same z-position in your master comp? Things could start offsetting if they aren't at the same depth. All three layers (CG, logo, null) should be at the same z-position when you parent them to that null.

There could be an issue with anchor points and scaling. If the anchor point of your logo is offset from the position of your null that could cause your logo to drift off.

Could you not just create a huge precomp for your logo? If you have to, make an 8000x8000 (or whatever) precomp, scale your logo up to fill that (continuously rasterizing your vector art in that precomp), then bring that into your master comp WITHOUT activating collapse geometrics. You'd be moving the scaling from your master comp to your precomp.

Cheers;

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on May 30, 2014 at 11:20:03 pm

One more thing to note is that the scale transform is not the best way to replicate a dolly-in type of camera move. Scale is good for making things bigger or smaller, but not for making it look like you're getting closer to or farther away from an object. The resulting looks are entirely different.

I'd make both pre comps as big as they have to be to hold sharpness, bring those into your master comp as 3D layers at the same z-position, and use a 3D camera to push into your logo or whatever. The resulting move will look correct.

Read up on the "exponential scale" keyframe assistant to learn more.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]