ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS4 vs CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daryl Wise Jr
CS4 vs CS6?
on May 28, 2014 at 4:53:21 pm

Wanting to upgrade from my CS4 I love so much to the new CS6? Worth it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CS4 vs CS6?
on May 28, 2014 at 5:14:36 pm

Without know the types of projects you undertake, we can't know for sure. But in general, yes, sir. It IS worth it. If you're a fan of owning software and not renting software, CS6 is a fine choice indeed.

Without knowing more about the nature of your work or the nature of your business, I can not in good conscience recommend getting After Effects Creative Cloud. It represents something of a point of no return. It's like the Event Horizon of a black hole, and once you pass it, you can't go back.

For some people, CC is great. For others, it's like gargling with plutonium-laced mouthwash.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daryl Wise Jr
on May 28, 2014 at 5:26:23 pm

I do alot of small time VFX. Mainly muzzle flash effects, lightsaber rotoscoping and things of that nature. Nothing too heavy. BTW, what is After Effects Creative Cloud? And yes, I like OWNING software. I don't "rent" anything.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 5:42:05 pm

Ah, then CS 6 is a wise acquisition, I think. The addition of Rotobrush alone may make it worth your while. You'd probably find the Warp Stabilizer and Mocha AE highly useful, too.

To say nothing of the fact that CS 6 is the last version of AE that you can own in the way you now own CS 4.

If you're a little gun-shy about the cost, or you're not convinced that it would help you all that much, you can look up the "What's new & Improved" sections on CS 5, CS 5.5 and CS 6 to see the features you don't have in CS4.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daryl Wise Jr
on May 28, 2014 at 5:50:12 pm

Does it come with Vector Paint? It is an amazing tool to mask out obscurities in front of my lightsaber when roto'ing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 6:00:46 pm

Oooooh, that's gone, sorry to say. You'd have to go to a Plan B. But I have to tell you: Rotobrush is a pretty darned good Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daryl Wise Jr
on May 28, 2014 at 6:10:11 pm

That is terrible! Oh well, back to the old method. This sucks.

Return to posts index

Daryl Wise Jr
on May 28, 2014 at 6:14:27 pm

Old version was the long, intricate subtraction mask method. :'(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 6:26:48 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 28, 2014 at 6:29:31 pm

Hence Rotobrush. You only need this stuff for a few frames where the arm occludes the light source. Rotobursh is a lot faster & generally more accurate than vector painting by hand.

Seriously: go look up those feature listis I mentiond earlier. Go look at some Rotobrush tutorials, even if you don't have the software. See if it'll cut it for you.

It also occurs to me that CS 5.5 may possibly be had for a song on EBay. 64-bit, lots of features that are new to you... it's an alternative.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daryl Wise Jr
on May 28, 2014 at 6:33:21 pm

I just watched a video it on! Looks great thanks! I will be buying CS6 here soon!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 7:58:33 pm

Before you haul out the plastic, watch some more. Like Warp Stabilizer. Mocha AE. I don't want to give you a bum steer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 28, 2014 at 5:42:24 pm

CS6 is version 11 of After Effects.
Creative Cloud (or CC, as it's known) is version 12.

Thus "After Effects Creative Cloud" is the latest version of After Effects. It is newer than CS6 and has many new features including a lite version of Cinema 4D. (Which would be huge for someone doing motion graphics, although, I'd just recommend you get the full version of C4D.)
As Dave has mentioned, there are some concerns with the Creative Cloud model, but that discussion is for another forum.

I would certainly recommend you upgrade from CS4 to at least CS6. CS4 is stuck in the land of 32-bits and can't benefit from the computer's full power (assuming you have more than 4GB of RAM). CS5, CS5.5, CS6 and CC are all 64-bit software.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daryl Wise Jr
on May 28, 2014 at 6:16:01 pm

Thanks Michael! Can I still just purchase CS6 standalone?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 28, 2014 at 7:03:00 pm

Yes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]