ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Positioning Video CoPilot Textures in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Positioning Video CoPilot Textures in After Effects
on May 28, 2014 at 6:13:11 am

Hello Everyone:

I am trying to position a Video CoPilot texture on a clip in a specific area on the timeline, but After Effects won't allow me to do it. The file is positioned at the beginning of the timeline and I cannot move it around.

Does anyone here use Video CoPilot and know how to move the textures around?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dorian Heller
Re: Positioning Video CoPilot Textures in After Effects
on May 28, 2014 at 6:38:27 am

I think it would be helpful, if you could let us know which Video Copilot plugin you are using.. He sells a few.

Probably Element 3D is what you are referring to. I can imagine why AE isn't letting you move anything around, perhaps. the layer is locked? Maybe you can post a screenshot so we have a better understanding exactly what you are dealing with.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 4:11:29 pm

Hi Dorian:

Thank you for responding. It is the flesh would texture. I want to position it in another area of the timeline and it won't move. Action Essentials 2.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 4:11:35 pm

Is this a still image? Just play with the in and out points of the layer. Done.

Actually, if it's video you can also play with the in & out points. Just make sure you pick the part of the video layer you want to use.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 4:15:12 pm

Hi Dave:

It's a still image that I cannot move on the timeline. So although I can maneuver it within the place I dropped the layer, I want the actual position of that layer to be place in another place on the timeline. It's a flesh wound PNG file.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 28, 2014 at 4:20:18 pm

[Debbie King] "So although I can maneuver it within the place I dropped the layer, I want the actual position of that layer to be place in another place on the timeline. It's a flesh wound PNG file. "

Here are a couple shortcuts for you: the open square bracket ([) moves a layer on the timeline so that its in point is at the current time indicator. The close square bracket (]) moves a layer in time so that its out point is at the current time indicator.

Alt+[ trims the in point to the CTI. Alt+] trims the out point to the CTI.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 4:38:03 pm

Hi Walter:

I'm not sure that I'm clear. Where would I find the brackets? Alt + ? What I discovered was that I can trim down to the area I want to place the texture, but my concern is that when I want to play back the entire clip I may not be able to because I trimmed down to a specific part of the clip. Is there a way to get the entire clip ready for full play back although I trimmed an area for effects?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 28, 2014 at 4:45:53 pm

[Debbie King] "I'm not sure that I'm clear. Where would I find the brackets? Alt + ?"

On the keyboard, in between the P and \ keys.

[Debbie King] "What I discovered was that I can trim down to the area I want to place the texture, but my concern is that when I want to play back the entire clip I may not be able to because I trimmed down to a specific part of the clip. Is there a way to get the entire clip ready for full play back although I trimmed an area for effects?"

I'm sorry, but I can't really visualize what you're trying to do. Can you post a screenshot?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 4:56:27 pm

Hi Walter:

Thank you. I am trying to figure out how to share a screen shot. It was submitted into a festival and it is prohibited that I show any portion of the film. The premier policy.

What I told Dave was that I had neglected to mention that the person I am trying to place the wound on is falling to the floor. I was trying to track the wound as he's falling. My discovery is that I could trim to that area and add the wound there, but I am not clear as to whether I could get the full clip to play after I trimmed and edited the trimmed area. Is that possible?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 4:21:07 pm

I'm not following you.

You can adjust in & out points, then move the layer backwards & forwards along the timeline. You can move the layer up & down, changing its layer order in the timeline. You can scale and position the layer to put it anywhere you want in in the comp window.

What is it you can't move? How about a screen shot?

And be prepared to receive a link to Adobe's EXTREMEMLY valuable "Getting Started In After Effects" page, and one to Andrew Devis' EXTREMELY valuable "After Effects Basics" tutorials here on the COW... because it sounds like you'vbe jumped into the deep end of the pool with After Effects, but your lack of knowledge is like wearing lead weights.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 4:47:59 pm

Hi Dave:

LOL You're right. Very heavy weights, but I'm hopeful.

I know what you're saying about positioning the texture. There is one thing I neglected to mention that may give more clarity. The person I am placing a wound on is falling to the floor. So what I was trying to do was track the wound as he's falling. With the flesh wound file firmly placed at the beginning of the timeline, it is challenging to get it to follow the person falling. I did make a discovery that I could trim the area where he's fallen and place the wound there. My challenge is to get the full clip to play after I've completed editing the trimmed area. Is that possible?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 5:08:02 pm

Ah, you're trying to do a motion track.

Since there are several kinds -- and without seeing an image, it's difficult to make a good recommendation -- we're at something of a loss to give advice on the best way to proceed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 5:19:15 pm

Oh, and you'll probably find these handy:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/02/after-effects-basics-tutorials-...

As Tula's dad would always say in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", there you go.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 5:40:07 pm

Hi Dave:

Thank you for the link. I see where the gentleman trimmed an area, which what I was thinking. I didn't see where he rendered the full clip with all frames preceding it.

Yes tracking, but not really using the motion tracking tool, because when I tried before, it wasn't tracking very well, since the area surrounding him is monochromatic to what he's wearing. What I was trying to do was track incrementally with each movement as he's falling. I tried it in another clip and it worked perfectly. I thought I'd do the same with this one. The other clip was a video however.

So ultimately I place the wound where I want it and as he's falling keep repositioning it. After Effects automatically tracks the layer as I reposition it. If I could get that PNG to move, this would be a breeze. As mentioned I have been able to trim to the area where he's fallen and place the wound there. What I want however is to still have access to the full sequence where he is falling, so that we see him falling and then we see the wound. If this works, then I can trim in each area I want the wound to appear, and render the full clip with everything in place. But....

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 4:21:02 pm

Hi Dave:

It just occurred to me. Couldn't I select the area I want the texture to be placed and trim it. Then I will only work within that area. I'll try and share my experience.

Many thanks,

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 28, 2014 at 5:38:07 pm

A screenshot of your timeline with some notes from you wouldn't show any of the film at all, but might help us pinpoint your problem.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 5:41:07 pm
Last Edited By Debbie King on May 28, 2014 at 5:57:12 pm

Oh thanks Michael.

Appreciated!

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 6:48:45 pm

Hi Everyone:

I was just consulted by Video Pilot's tech support. When I imported the texture, I kept it as a PNG. He told me to uncheck PNG so that the files will drop in the timeline. It worked.

Many thanks for your responses.

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 8:17:10 pm

...and I think I see one reason why your motion tracks aren't working well: the video's a Windows Media File. Try transcoding the video to a different codec. I'm a fan of Quicktime Movies in the PNG codec, but QT's Photo JPEG codec's good too, and so is a lossless AVI.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 28, 2014 at 8:39:48 pm

Hi Dave:

Thank you. I will try it. This person is wearing all white, and so what I discovered about the motion tracking is that I need to find a focus that attracts the tracker, preferable something distinct in color and quality. He's falling and the motion tracker just does its own thing, although it's following him. LOL It gets to the destination eventually; just not in real time.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]