ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Festival big screen display

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonFestival big screen display
by on May 28, 2014 at 6:08:46 am

Hi chaps, I have a small ad' to prepare for a client ... it will be displayed either side of the stage at a festival, here is the spec' I've been emailed:

The ads should be supplied as either 1024 x 576 (16:9) with captions and text within 4:3 title safe, or as 720 x 576 (4:3). Due to the portrait nature of the screens, all ads are run within a 4:3 window in the centre of the screen. They can be run as 16:9 if the client insists but it means they will effectively be smaller and less impactful

All adverts need to be sent as Quicktime ProRes, with stereo audio (as the sound plays out over the main PA system)

I'm a little confused and have, of course, contacted them but they're a little slow at responding and I want to get on with the project. Should my comp in AE be 1050 x 576 square pixels (though they state 1024) "portrait" - or are they playing out from a DVD and should I deliver anamorphic ... I said I was confused ... I've also never used 'Prores' ... what is that ?

Best Roger

Return to posts index

Dorian HellerRe: Festival big screen display
by on May 28, 2014 at 6:36:44 am

I can't answer the first question, because I don't fully understand it, but I can give a bit of thought into ProRes:

ProRes is a codec often (perhaps only) used with Quicktime, such as .mov, .mp4 or quicktime native files. It only runs on Mac hardware, because Apple owns the codec. The PC version of this, (if you will) is called DNxHD, which is effectively the same thing, with minor differences.

If they want the comp rendered out at prores, in the render options choose: Quicktime, and then under codec you should see a few ProRes options. Additionally, these options are ONLY available on a mac, so you will need one, to output to ProRes.

Hope that helps at least a little!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Festival big screen display
by on May 28, 2014 at 4:00:43 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 28, 2014 at 4:04:08 pm

Actually, ProRes and DNxHD are two different video codecs, one from Apple and the other (DNxHD) from Avid. They're virtually identical in their excellent quality but still different.

If you're on a Windows machine, you'll have to hunt down a third-party codec pack (avoid K-Lite at all costs!!!) to do rendering in ProRes; I'm almost certain free ones exist.

Since they specify ProRes, I would go with ProRes 422 -- an EXCELLENT codec. They're playing horizontally-oriented video in vertically-oriented display devices, so I would use the LEAST horizontal aspect ratio available, which is 4x3.

Thus, make 720x576 4x3 quicktime movies in the ProRes 422 codec.

If you simply can NOT find ProRes to work with Windows, find someone with Final Cut Pro. Give them your completed AE Renders... but use Quicktime's PNG video codec. The conversion to ProRes 422 will be a breeze for them. Then buy them a beer as a way of saying thank you.

And like the Good Mr. Szalapski, I'm puzzled why you're not allowed to make vertically-oriented 16x9 video. They'd just have to tell you whether to rotate the completed 9x16 work 90-degrees clockwise or counterclockwise to render the 16x9 video file.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Festival big screen display
by on May 28, 2014 at 3:04:51 pm

If they have portrait screens, I wonder why they don't give you the option to create portrait video that fills the screen rather than 4:3 content that is centered in the screen.

As they have said it will play within a 4:3 box, I would suggest creating your content at 4:3 so that it is as large as possible. Making it 16:9 would only add even more black at the bottom and top of your image making it smaller than it already will be.

It would be great if you could create it at a size that actually fit the screen...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: Festival big screen display
by on May 29, 2014 at 1:10:23 pm

That is all so helpful chaps, thank you so much, I'm sure the information will be a great help at some time but typically this project has been dropped - it was ever thus !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved