ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How could I just kill a man?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bur Ci
How could I just kill a man?!
on May 28, 2014 at 3:25:59 am

Thats right, that's a Cypress hill song and here's something I can't understand, (sort of)

If you take a look at the uploaded image, you'll see that I am working within Illustrator to create an image. this image I will take into after effects and here is where its gets tricky, for me. The red outlines within the image I want to fill with video. I suppose I don't necessarily need to make those paths within illustrator, but just not to sure. I believe i'll be making masks within the the image to put the videos in it. Question is,

Could I make thos paths within after affects? OR could I go ahead and make them in illustrator and make mask them with the video in AE. I am really green to both so excuse the lack of details.

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: How could I just kill a man?!
on May 28, 2014 at 1:18:55 pm

There's like a billion ways to do this, but, since they're a distinct color, you could use the extract filter or a color key with maybe a matte choker. Or you could just do masks by drawing them in with the pen tool. If the character is animating though, I would probably just use the extract filter so you don't have to keep redoing your masks.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Bur Ci
on May 28, 2014 at 7:46:13 pm

George,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yeah, I gave it a go last night. I thought the pen tool was quite useful, but I know that I will be animating, so I think I'll be using the extract filter like you said. Thanks if I have any more questions I'd def appreciate your feedback!

Best,

Burci

Return to posts index

Bur Ci
on May 29, 2014 at 3:03:30 am

George,

How about if you want to mask the video to the outline of your image, same tool?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on May 29, 2014 at 1:19:26 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. I do want to reiterate there is a lot of ways to go about this, and the extract filter was really only for a down and dirty quick way to solve your first problem.

If you aren't using any blend modes in illustrator, you may want to consider right clicking the ai file and choosing create shapes from vector layer. This will give you a layer with all your shapes inside of it. This way, you can isolate each shape and treat it as you wish. Typically, I use the explode shape script after something like this so that each shape is it's own layer, but if you don't want to install that script, you can just duplicate the layer for each shape and delete all the extra shapes in each one so that you're left over with a single shape in each layer.

For what it's worth, I don't use illustrator for AE projects. I know a lot of people do, but I just prefer to draw my shapes with the pen tool in the program. The program runs faster, and I find I have a lot more flexibility when it comes to animating.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Bur Ci
on Jun 2, 2014 at 1:54:43 am

George,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. I did in fact just vector my objects and then import them to AE. For some reason they just very pixeled within AE. Anyhow, I'll keep at it and make it work somehow. If I have anymore questions I hope I can touch base once more.

Best

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2014 at 4:13:44 pm

Are you using a single still image, or are you creating an image SEQUENCE to create motion in the image?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bur Ci
on May 28, 2014 at 7:48:24 pm

Dave,

Right, sorry still a bit green. I will be creating an image sequence and will animate the images to move within a given space. I was just made aware that maybe the extract filter would be best suited for this job

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]