ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale of 3d scene after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan RobinsonScale of 3d scene after effects
by on May 27, 2014 at 8:27:02 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering how do you change the scale of the scene in after effects? When I use camera tracker from the foundry, it gives you a scene scale null. In this example, I made the scene scale huge. So the animated null Starts off fast, then appears to slow down as it goes far away.

I need to do the exact same thing in another project, so the null appears to go by fast when its close, but then slows down as it gets further away. The problem is, I'm not using the camera tracker plugin, which means i do not have the scale scene null. So when i animate the null to go super far away, it does not look right. How do i adjust the scale of the scene in after effects?

E. Robinson

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Scale of 3d scene after effects
by on May 27, 2014 at 9:12:33 pm

Parent all 3D layers to a 3D Null layer and scale that Null.

There will be no discernible visual difference but all of your 3D position values will increase relative to the scale of the 3D Null (which you can see if you unparent your 3D layers from the null or delete it).

Ultimately scene scale doesn't generally matter that much in AE. It's all about relative distances and those don't change as you scale up the entire scene. In your example you could've gotten the same result by changing the keyframed values of the null instead of scaling the scene. All of that said it is nice to have your position values in a reasonable range.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Evan RobinsonRe: Scale of 3d scene after effects
by on May 27, 2014 at 9:21:21 pm

Alright,

Thanks

E. Robinson

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Scale of 3d scene after effects
by on May 28, 2014 at 12:21:25 am

I should've include this note as well:

...parent all 3d layers including cameras and lights to the 3d null.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

jonas n bärRe: Scale of 3d scene after effects
by on Sep 21, 2015 at 3:55:07 pm

That's just great. I'm adding a few keywords for google with my reply as this is a perfect workaround for the "far vanish" option of trapcode particular which is limited to 100k units.

Thanks
j

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]