ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5.5 and Mavericks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Slavinsky
After Effects CS5.5 and Mavericks
on May 26, 2014 at 10:11:29 pm

Hello all,
I am ready to upgrade to Mavericks, but do not want to loose my AE5.5. Not a big fun of CC concept and not plan to use it. Is there any way to be able to use AE 5.5 without switching to CC. There are some suggestions online to update Java......
Please help!
Thank you very much in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects CS5.5 and Mavericks
on May 26, 2014 at 11:38:24 pm

Adobe is still selling CS6, and CS6 was updated to support Mavericks, so you can upgrade if you like.

CS5.5 is not supported on Mavericks.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on May 26, 2014 at 11:58:31 pm

[Walter Soyka] "CS5.5 is not supported on Mavericks."

Walter is correct, Mavericks broke Motion Sketch in CS6 and earlier versions. Adobe has announced that CS6 will be updated to fix this issue, but CS5.5 is no longer being supported.

That said, I still have it installed and have used it without incident or issue on several recent projects – one expression heavy project where they were 10 times faster than CS6 or CC and another that required me to work in CS 5.5 for client compatibility reasons.

You can update to Mavericks if your'e willing to lose Motion Sketch and perhaps lose other functions as OS updates progress.

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 12:34:23 am

Brian, are you saying you are running AE 5.5 in Mavericks without major issues? I understand Motion Sketch will not be available, but will I be able to run it in general?
Thank you,

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on May 27, 2014 at 4:43:47 am

[Lucy Slavinsky] "Brian, are you saying you are running AE 5.5 in Mavericks without major issues?"

Yes. It runs without major issues other than Motion Sketch.

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 8:33:41 pm

Brian, did you install Java? Do you remember from what version did you upgrade to Mavericks?
Many people complain they cant even open AE or Premier. I wonder what made you a lucky one? :)

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 27, 2014 at 10:26:56 pm

I run both CS4 and CS5 versions of After Effects on Mavericks and haven't experienced any problems (as Brian mentioned, I've noticed some projects with expression seem to render faster).

However, since the old versions are not supported in Mavericks, I would recommend creating a partition on your main drive and duplicating your current OSX to the 2nd partition before upgrading to Mavericks on the 1st partition.

This way, you keep a fully functioning older OSX with all the software that you know works, and can easily reboot to that OS if needed (either using system>startup disk, or holding the option key while booting).

By installing install Mavericks on the 1st partition, whenever you feel confident in Mavericks, you can simply remove the 2nd partition and expand the 1st partition to use the full drive space -- note, you can't expand the 2nd partition to use the full drive space even if you remove the 1st partition, so if you went that route, you'd need to duplicate the Mavericks partition to the 1st partition, then remove the 2nd partition and expand the first.

If all that seems daunting, you can check out YouTube videos that show you how to easily create partitions in OSX (it's quite easy with the Disk Utility), and using SuperDuper is equally as easy.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 27, 2014 at 10:30:13 pm

> I've noticed some projects with expression seem to render faster

One thing that often speeds things up is to disable cache markings, since this prevents a tremendous number of unnecessary reevaluations of the cache; just go to the Timeline panel menu and disable Show Cache Indicators.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 28, 2014 at 3:56:07 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "One thing that often speeds things up is to disable cache markings, since this prevents a tremendous number of unnecessary reevaluations of the cache;"

great tip, i'm surprised i haven't heard of that before.

thanks Todd

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on May 28, 2014 at 4:23:06 pm

Thanks for the tip Todd! Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of showing cache indicators? When might it benefit me to have them shown?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 28, 2014 at 5:06:26 pm

The cache indicators give you a visual indication of which frames are already in the cache, which can be useful when you want to get a rough idea of how much longer a RAM preview is going to take to render, etc.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 10:35:16 pm

Kevin, thank you very much! I absolutly should try that.

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 28, 2014 at 6:11:57 pm

Kevin, quick question - while creating a second partition, what would be the best practice to share the space? 50%/50%? I have 1TB on my start up disc. The main reason for upgrading to Mavericks, is FCPX new version, which doesn't work with old OS.
Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 12:37:09 am

Thank you, Walter. When I contacted Adobe in the end of 2013 they told me that my only option is CC.
Nice to know they fixed the issue at least for CS6

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 27, 2014 at 12:41:12 am
Last Edited By Walter Soyka on May 27, 2014 at 12:42:03 am

[Lucy Slavinsky] "Thank you, Walter. When I contacted Adobe in the end of 2013 they told me that my only option is CC.
Nice to know they fixed the issue at least for CS6"

Hearing things like this is frustrating. I shouldn't know more about this than whoever you talked to at Adobe.

I'm not sure if this link will work for you or not:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_s...

If it doesn't work, go to adobe.com, click the Buy button on top, and enter CS6 in the search box.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 12:49:56 am

Thank you. Now my only question if I am able to update my student version to CS6.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 27, 2014 at 12:23:32 pm

[Lucy Slavinsky] "Thank you. Now my only question if I am able to update my student version to CS6."

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to that question. You'd have to contact sales (I know). A quick look at the education store shows only full CS6 licenses for sale, not upgrades.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 8:30:36 pm

Yeap, you are right.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 27, 2014 at 9:42:02 pm

> When I contacted Adobe in the end of 2013 they told me that my only option is CC.

Please give me the case number for this interaction. I need to know who is giving out false information.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on May 27, 2014 at 10:03:36 pm

Sorry, I do not save these chats.

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:39:36 pm

Hi Lucy...
This is off topic, but there are rarely any ladys on this forum, so I thot I would say Hi. I tried to find a way to contact you not thru this thread, but could not.
Just wondering what kinds of things you do w AfterEffects? I realize i dont have any contact info here either...
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB;
Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Oct 22, 2014 at 10:14:57 pm

Hi Hope,
Thank you for contacting me. You can use my direct email lucyslavinsky@gmail.com

Unfortunately I have not used AE lately, but a while ago I have used to stabilize images, for titles and some animation.
Best,
Lucy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]