ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I do a super cheesy star-wipe in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul BooneHow do I do a super cheesy star-wipe in AE?
by on May 26, 2014 at 4:25:25 pm

I don't know how this was overlooked, but I can't find any Star Wipe transition. Clearly, people have failed to appreciate the subtle beauty in the star wipe, and for that I forgive you.

So anyways, how do I get a star wipe transition? Is there a 3rd party download I can do? I don't think I have time (or know how) to make the transition myself.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How do I do a super cheesy star-wipe in AE?
by on May 26, 2014 at 11:35:08 pm

[Paul Boone] "I don't know how this was overlooked, but I can't find any Star Wipe transition. Clearly, people have failed to appreciate the subtle beauty in the star wipe, and for that I forgive you."

True, why have hamburger when you can have steak?

[Paul Boone] "So anyways, how do I get a star wipe transition?"

Apply the Iris Wipe effect. Set "Iris Points" to 10. Check the box for "Use Inner Radius." Alt-click the stopwatch on the Inner Radius property and enter the following expression:

effect("Iris Wipe")("Outer Radius")/2.5

This establishes a relationship between the outer radius and the inner radius, and allows you to animate both parameters in the same ratio while only keyframing the outer radius.

Set a keyframe for outer radius to 0, then move forward in time and set another keyframe. Scrub the outer radius value up until your image totally disappears. You now have an amazing star wipe.

Please note that the expression bit is optional, though it does make this a bit easier to use. You can also choose to manually keyframe the inner radius independently of the outer radius.

In fact, for a more glorious star wipe than you ever thought possible before, you could animate outer radius, inner radius, and rotation independently.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How do I do a super cheesy star-wipe in AE?
by on May 27, 2014 at 4:28:02 am

You could also accomplish this with a shape layer.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How do I do a super cheesy star-wipe in AE?
by on May 27, 2014 at 2:16:40 pm

The shape layer method would be to use the Star Shape to create a star shape layer. Animate the scale from 0% to whatever you need to cover the entire screen in the amount of time you want for the wipe to occur. Place the video layer you want to star wipe on, below the star shape and change it's track matte to Alpha matte.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]