ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

do i need a third ssd for media files?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shane Scottdo i need a third ssd for media files?
by on May 26, 2014 at 3:24:09 pm

hi, im getting a laptop for AE, im getting a 500GB SSD for OS and applications and cache, and a 1 terabyte 7200rpm HDD for everything else, someone recommended i get a SSD for media but someone else told me it wasnt necessary, would doing so speed up my RAM previews and everything else or just the amount of time it takes to import files to AE?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: do i need a third ssd for media files?
by on May 27, 2014 at 12:14:51 am

What kind of media files are we talking about? What kind of work do you do to them with Ae?

My general inclination is that a mechanical hard drive (larger and cheaper but slower) is probably better for your media files unless you can afford the higher cost and lower capacity of another SSD.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

shane ScottRe: do i need a third ssd for media files?
by on May 27, 2014 at 12:27:40 am

1080p video, and i make music videos with heavy effects, im just trying to figure out if getting a SSD will speed up RAM previews or just the amount of time it takes to import the clips to AE because i cant tell if AE makes a copy of each clip when it's imported or when ram previews are being generated it ha to read information from the disk continuously from the original video file

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: do i need a third ssd for media files?
by on May 27, 2014 at 12:32:21 am

[shane Scott] "im just trying to figure out if getting a SSD will speed up RAM previews or just the amount of time it takes to import the clips to AE because i cant tell if AE makes a copy of each clip when it's imported or when ram previews are being generated it ha to read information from the disk continuously from the original video file"

Ae does not copy clips. It references them wherever they are on your system.

When RAM previews are generated, Ae will read and cache data from the media files. An SSD might speed this up slightly, but it's not likely to be significant if you are doing a lot of effects work. It's much more likely that your work will be CPU-bound (meaning it can't go any faster, even with faster disks, because it is using all available CPU power).

How much RAM are you putting in this computer? What processor?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

shane ScottRe: do i need a third ssd for media files?
by on May 27, 2014 at 1:46:05 am

thanks for the information, 32 gigs of ram and i7-4910MQ processor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]