ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Selectively blurring people in time-lapse(raw) sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Selectively blurring people in time-lapse(raw) sequence
on May 25, 2014 at 2:19:45 pm

I have a long time-lapse sequence composed of RAW images with people passing thru. They are mostly blurred since I was using a 1 second exposure, but in many cases they are recognizable because they were standing still.

Is there a way in AE to selectively blur ONLY the people in these frames? In essence I need to extract the information that has changed(the people) and only blur that.

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Selectively blurring people in time-lapse(raw) sequence
on May 25, 2014 at 5:27:22 pm

You could create a matte for the changing elements in the shot by using the Time Difference effect, or by duplicating the sequence, offsetting it by a frame and setting the blend mode to Difference.

You can eliminate some of the noise by blurring the source some and then use levels to focus in on the values you want.

Alternatively, there's a fun technique for creating a clean plate from a series of locked down images in Photoshop:

http://helpx.adobe.com/en/photoshop/using/image-stacks-photoshop-extended.h...

If you use the median mode it should eliminate objects that move in the image. You could then theoretically use this (relatively) clean plate in the difference blend mode above your sequence to pull out moving subjects.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
Re: Selectively blurring people in time-lapse(raw) sequence
on May 25, 2014 at 6:00:47 pm

Thanks Darby. Great info

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]