ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Burning Tip of Fake Cigarette

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Burning Tip of Fake Cigarette
on May 23, 2014 at 8:00:15 am

Hello Everyone:

Does anyone know how to make the tip of a fake cigarette look likes it's burning. I have already added the smoke.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Burning Tip of Fake Cigarette
on May 23, 2014 at 3:58:11 pm

We need to know more. Is this a shot in bright daylight where all you see is the ash at the tip, or one in darkened room where you can see the end glowing?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 24, 2014 at 10:48:53 am

Hi Dave:

It's a medium close up of the actor holding a cigarette, interior. The front of the cigarette is never seen, only the side. Since this is a short shot, I only want to give the impression that the cigarette is burning. No ashes needed; just burn marks and an appearance that it is lit. I have Essentials 2 and included is a texture folder that includes Burn Marks. I don't know how to make it transparent. Maybe I can add and track the texture.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 23, 2014 at 5:06:37 pm

I'd shoot a close up of a cigerette burning over a black screen and composite that into my shot.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 24, 2014 at 10:52:06 am
Last Edited By Debbie King on May 24, 2014 at 10:53:32 am

Hi John:

Thanks. How would I be able to make it transparent? That's been my dilemma. I have Essentials 2 where they include a textures folder with various types of burn marks. It's not prekeyed and the background is opaque.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 25, 2014 at 12:56:22 am

By "opaque" do you mean black? If that's the case, there are multiple ways. You can use transfer modes(press F4)---try the additive ones like Add, Lighten, Screen, Color Dodge, Classic Color Dodge, Linear Dodge, Lighter Color. The help describes what each one does precisely. Transfer modes are nice because they will blend with the layer below.

Another method would be to use a luma key effect or extract key, both would easily remove the black from your burn marks video.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 26, 2014 at 7:09:09 am

You can also use Unmult, it's free.

http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/knoll-unmult-free/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]