ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE with a cheap tablet?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Engin Osmanovski
AE with a cheap tablet?
on May 22, 2014 at 12:39:35 pm

Hello,

Can a cheap tablet such as Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch CTH-480 (Small) help us in our paint/clone/rotoscope workflow in AE (or say Mocha) considerably? I know the Intuos Pro or Cintiq series definitely can but i am an amateur and my budget is limited. Is it worth buying an Intuos CTH-480 for the job?

Here is a link to the product i mentioned: https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH480/

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: AE with a cheap tablet?
on May 22, 2014 at 12:49:11 pm

Bigger is better, it's nice to be able to have some programmable buttons too, but I think any tablet is better than a mouse. We have tablets at every edit/graphics station in the office, and most of us use tablets at home.

As someone who once had to rotoscope enough football & basketball players for a 30 second spot---way back before rotobrush, don't use a mouse. 1 eight hour shift and your wrist will be killing you, not to mention 4 days straight.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 22, 2014 at 2:04:20 pm

In my opinion, it's be worth the extra hundred dollars to step up to the medium size. Small tablets and high-res screens can be frustrating.

I started on a small Graphire (now Bamboo) before moving to medium Intuos (now Intuos Pro). I'd go back to a mouse before I'd go back to a small tablet.

If you're really on a budget, Monoline makes some dirt-cheap tablets. I have no personal experience with them.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter] | RenderBreak [blog] | Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Engin Osmanovski
on May 22, 2014 at 2:31:39 pm
Last Edited By Engin Osmanovski on May 22, 2014 at 2:32:11 pm

I came upon a small Intuos Pro version about the same price with that medium Intuos you mentioned. It has tilt recognition and x2 higher pressure sensitivity. Which one is a better choice? Smaller dimensions with higher sensitivty and tilt recognition, or larger dimensions with half the sensitivty and no tilt recognition?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 22, 2014 at 2:40:03 pm

You might want to search ebay and limit the searches to used. You might be able to really stretch your dollar that way.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 22, 2014 at 3:05:46 pm

[Engin Osmanovski] "ame upon a small Intuos Pro version about the same price with that medium Intuos you mentioned. It has tilt recognition and x2 higher pressure sensitivity. Which one is a better choice? Smaller dimensions with higher sensitivty and tilt recognition, or larger dimensions with half the sensitivty and no tilt recognition?"

For mouse replacement, I'd get the larger size for sure.

Pressure sensitivity and tilt really only matter if you're doing fine arts digitally -- and then, you'll probably ultimately want the larger size, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter] | RenderBreak [blog] | Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on May 22, 2014 at 9:23:55 pm

I'll agree with Walter on this one (FWIW). Tilt and pressure, while nice, really only come into play with digital fine arts. If you're only doing roto work and maybe some Photoshop editing, the lower pressure sensitivity and lack of tilt shouldn't be a factor. Go for real estate. You'll be happy to have the room and won't miss the tilt.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]