ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Butterflies form a word

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arnaud Van de CalseydeButterflies form a word
by on May 22, 2014 at 9:50:01 am

Hi boys and girls,

My team and I have a new project for a client.

Quick intro about the project
It's a 10 second animation where flying butterflies should fly in the scene and form a single word.
The style of the animation should be 2D and flat illustrations. So no realistic 3D elements.
We only want to work in After effects and not in C4D

How I see it
I've been doing motion graphics for a couple of years not but never done anything like that.
After some research I think particular is going to be my friend. But can I link compositions to a particle

Another post I saw from Matt Truncks tutorials could also be an option

Any help/tip and tricks on how to get started would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Butterflies form a word
by on May 23, 2014 at 12:23:28 pm

Whenever I see something that involves a bunch of objects, my first thought is a particle system. Depending on your exact needs you might find that either Particular or Form will work. Particular is good at flinging things around, away from a starting point but, if you need stuff to move around a bit but come together in a certain shape, then Form might be easier. Of course you can always use Particular to emit particles and then reverse the animation to get things coming together, but in Form you can just play with the fractal values to get the particles moving around before progressively taking on the shape of your logo/text or whatever.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved