ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

wierd movement between keyframes (not boomerang effect)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan grant
wierd movement between keyframes (not boomerang effect)
on May 21, 2014 at 10:29:19 pm

I'm using CS3 and I'm getting some wierd movement occasionally between keyframes in "position" and it's not the boomerang effect. The frames aren't identical, but the z position SHOULD be the same and not change (the x and/or y do). I've looked at every angle I can find and used the graph editor and can't figure it out. In the preview screen I can't see the movement in the path but when I use the graph editor and use the value view I can see the odd random jerky movement in the z line. It's almost like a wiggle (which I've never actually used) and not a smooth continuous motion like the boomerang effect. :-/

I can't find anything on google about it, although I might just not know the write phrasing. Does anyone know what might be causing this??? It's driving me crazy!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: wierd movement between keyframes (not boomerang effect)
on May 22, 2014 at 2:57:22 am

Boomerang is just describing the effect that occurs when the spatial bezier handles of two keyframes fight against each other. This happens not only when the keyframes are identical but also when there is a relatively large/fast motion into/out of a set of keyframes that are relatively close to one another.

It's possible this isn't what you're experiencing, but try setting the spatial interpolation of the keyframes to linear anyway and see if that helps.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Arnaud Van de Calseyde
on May 22, 2014 at 10:00:21 am

Hey hey,

I think this might have something to your keyframe interpolation.

Select your 2 keyframes where your element does the funky moves, go to animation in your toolbar, keyframe interpolation and set your spacial interpolation to Linear

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

jonathan grant
on May 22, 2014 at 3:24:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. The problem is that I need the spacial interpolation because of the movement. :-/

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 22, 2014 at 4:07:55 pm

Set the keyframes to linear spatial interpolation, then use the pen tool to drag out new custom spatial bezier handles.

Alternatively you could skip going to linear and try to find the problematic bezier handles and reduce their length (influence). It's usually easiest to find these handles in the 4up view and zoomed in (also make sure you have the 2 keyframes in question selected).

I usually convert to linear spatial interpolation first so that I know the problematic handles will be gone.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]