ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Comp Settings & Lossless

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robby Monk
Comp Settings & Lossless
on May 20, 2014 at 7:33:20 pm

I am a beginner in the video world. I just learned how to spell DSLR - that is how young I am in this industry.

The footage I am shooting seems a bit soft (not sharp), and I am not sure if I have my comp settings set correctly and/or rendering out my footage properly.

I shoot with a Canon 7d. I shoot at 1920x1080 (24fps) and have my comp settings at HDTV 1080 25. When I render, I am using Quicktime with MPEG - 4video.

Is this correct or am I a complete idiot with the wrong settings?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Comp Settings & Lossless
on May 21, 2014 at 12:54:23 pm

[Robby Monk] "The footage I am shooting seems a bit soft (not sharp), and I am not sure if I have my comp settings set correctly and/or rendering out my footage properly."

Are you sure the footage itself is sharp? Depending on your lens choices, your depth of field may be very shallow, which makes maintaining tack-sharp focus very challenging.

[Robby Monk] "I shoot at 1920x1080 (24fps) and have my comp settings at HDTV 1080 25. When I render, I am using Quicktime with MPEG - 4video."

Why the frame rate difference between your footage and your comp?

Also, I'd suggest dumping QuickTime/MPEG-4. For general use, I'd suggest you instead render with the lossless preset, then use Adobe Media Encoder to make an H.264 MP4.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Robby Monk
on May 21, 2014 at 1:04:28 pm

Thanks Walter. No clue why I was off with the frame rate and my comp. Chalk that up to my stupidity.

I will try your suggestion on using the Lossless preset. So once that is rendered, I then drop that finished file into Adobe Media Encoder? I'll let you know how that turns out!

Thanks again!
Robby

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 21, 2014 at 1:50:12 pm

[Robby Monk] "No clue why I was off with the frame rate and my comp. Chalk that up to my stupidity."

Let's chalk it up to being a beginner!

Since you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

[Robby Monk] "I will try your suggestion on using the Lossless preset. So once that is rendered, I then drop that finished file into Adobe Media Encoder?"

Yes, using an H.264 preset. I like the Vimeo H.264 presets as a good starting point.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Robby Monk
on May 21, 2014 at 5:30:04 pm

Excellent. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 22, 2014 at 9:29:17 pm

Adobe TV and and Andrew Kramer's Basic Training are also great free resources to teach yourself the basics of After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]