ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Sketch not working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen osborneMotion Sketch not working
by on May 20, 2014 at 5:10:46 pm

Hi
I'm trying to use motions sketch and I can't get it to work. I have a 2d layer selected. Click on "start capture". Then I click on the object and drag it around. But nothing happens. No key frames. Time indicator doesn't move in time line. No sound. What am I doing wrong?

Using new Mac Pro 2013 and CS6. Composition is 2048 x 1080. Object is a psd file.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 20, 2014 at 5:27:56 pm

Mavericks broke Motion Sketch in CS6. A fix is coming in the next update to CS6 which is due out next month according to Adobe.

If you need it now, you can either use a different OS with CS6 or you can...
Upgrade to CC! There are many other reasons besides just motion sketch to upgrade.

If nothing else, you can use the trial of CC to get your motion sketching done and then Save As CS6.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ellen osborneRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 20, 2014 at 5:40:54 pm

Thanks Michael.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 20, 2014 at 6:50:23 pm

If you're not a big fan of renting After Effects from now until the end of time, Michael's suggestion makes very good sense.

Once you pass the Creative Cloud Event Horizon, you can't escape the Black Hole that has become Adobe software.

The only way is to limit yourself to features found only in CS6 so you can backsave to CS6... and if you do that, why have Creative Cloud in the first place?

A conundrum.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 20, 2014 at 7:15:43 pm

I have a much shinier view of the subscription-based model than Dave does. I think it helps Adobe to focus efforts on improving the software to make it more useful to us, the professional end users.

In the past, whenever they would launch a new version, they would try to include whiz-bang features to tempt us to upgrade. Sometimes they would be useful (like the Roto Brush) but many times they were pretty worthless (the ray-traced 3d renderer). Now that they no longer have a need to try to get us to upgrade with each new version, their focus is now on keeping their subscribers by making the program more stable, more productive, and faster.

Also, if you've paid attention to the announcements from Adobe, the pace of updates has significantly increased with the CC model and some of the changes in the point-level updates have been significant. They couldn't have made updates like that under the purchased model (for complicated legal reasons that are ridiculous, but nonetheless the law).

If you planned to keep yourself current with Adobe software, then the subscription model costs less than buying an upgrade every couple of years too.

I also have some reservations regarding the subscription-based model, but the results of it so far have been very positive.

Anyway, sorry to get off track, but I didn't want you to be scared away from CC entirely. You should definitely go into it with open eyes and consider the ramifications, but I think it's a good direction to go (and if you don't like it, you've always got CS6 to fall back on).

Again, if you're not in a hurry on this project, the update to CS6 that should fix the issue is meant to come next month some time.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 20, 2014 at 11:45:29 pm

As Michael says, we are working on a new bug-fix update for After Effects CS6, and fixing the breakage that Mac OSX v10.9 inflicted on Motion Sketch is the #1 priority of that bug-fix update.

My current estimate is that the new After Effects CS6 bug-fix update should come out in June. (I'm the one testing it, so I feel rather confident in that estimate.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Shay BacharRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on Sep 15, 2014 at 12:10:05 am

I have the same problem. Motion Sketch is not working at all I have CS6 Ver: 11.0.4.2 Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Reuben M TuckRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on Oct 11, 2014 at 2:29:13 pm

So it's October. Is there a fix for this issue?

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 21, 2014 at 8:16:07 am

[Michael Szalapski] "If you planned to keep yourself current with Adobe software, then the subscription model costs less than buying an upgrade every couple of years too."

I know there is another forum for this debate, so I'll be brief: Here in Europe, at least, a year's CC subscription will actually cost me more than the last master collection upgrade I bought, which is the main reason why I'm still using CS6.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Motion Sketch not working
by on May 21, 2014 at 5:31:50 pm

[Matthew Keane] "I know there is another forum for this debate"

There sure is:

http://forums.creativecow.net/creativeclouddebate

I'd really hate to see this excellent and well-focused creative/technical forum get bogged down with meta-discussion about Creative Cloud pros and cons. The licensing change is a good and informative point to raise, but I hope you'll all consider moving the conversation over there if you wish to further debate the merits of CC and software subscription.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]