ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

light refraction effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Olmstedlight refraction effect
by on May 19, 2014 at 10:55:39 pm

Hello all!

I'm the Design Director of a news station that's looking to move to a new graphics package in the next 14-16 months. Per management's request, I've been looking at design houses to hire for the job, but I've also been looking into the possibilities of doing it in-house. I've worked at stations that did it this way (and was involved in the design) and it worked well for a number of reasons.

Anyway, I've been building a few looks to present to management in the next few weeks/months. One is a less newsy-looking package that doesn't rely on all the old looks and tricks so many news packages do. Instead of using lens flares to create accents and highlights like a lot of packages do, I've been attempting a 'light refraction' look. Please see the product boxes in the middle and end of this ad...

I've been able to somewhat recreate this, but it doesn't look very natural or organic... also I had to control it very specifically with keyframes.

I know this toothpaste box, and the related effect, were probably created in 3D, but I'm hoping I can recreate the effect in AE (I have CC).

I guess I'm a fairly advanced AE user (12 years) and I use Zaxwerks Invigorator and VC Element pretty heavily for 3D content. We also have Cinema 4D, but I am a novice user, still learning.

Any thoughts on how I can somewhat recreate this effect?

Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved