ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask animation...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Pfeffer
Mask animation...
on May 19, 2014 at 7:49:39 pm

I'm wondering if there is a simpler way about animating this. I basically have to show this machine running, with this foam-like material being formed around these spools. It needs to run for 30 seconds, looping.

Right now, all I can think of is to animate every point of this mask.

I feel like there should be a way to loop every few seconds but by manually adjusting the points, they jerk into motion when the loop comes back around.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
Re: Mask animation...
on May 19, 2014 at 8:26:58 pm

If I am understanding your question correctly, I would take that mask you have and do a "generate stroke" effect and animate the "start" slider from 0% to 100%. Then animate the "end" slider the same way except delayed and then loop the comp.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Mark Pfeffer
on May 19, 2014 at 8:52:13 pm

This most likely wouldnt work. I'm not sure I was clear...that is my fault.

The 2 spools are spinning as the foam forms. Wouldnt that process keep the foam static or am I seeing it wrong?

Thanks for responding...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 19, 2014 at 8:40:32 pm

Another method would be to use a shape layer, add a trim paths and animate that.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mark Pfeffer
on May 19, 2014 at 8:50:37 pm

So, I'm needing the foam to rotate with the spool as well, as if forms it then sticks to the final plane and continues down the track.

Would a shape, with trim paths, work that way?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 19, 2014 at 9:13:56 pm

If the foam is coming in, moving with the gears and out, then yes, you could use a shape layer like that.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Mark Pfeffer
on May 19, 2014 at 9:38:37 pm

John,

Let me clarify, I'm not having a problem drawing in the foam...taking it from 0% to 100%. My issue is, once its drawn on, do I have to have the mask keyframed through the whole 30 seconds or is there an easier way to just loop 3 or 4 seconds of this process.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your replies, btw.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 20, 2014 at 1:00:32 pm

Sorry, I thought the foam was just traveling along a fixed path, hence use a stroke or shape layer. Took me a couple of times to work out the problem and my solution really isn't going to help you, let me think and see if there is an alt solution.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 20, 2014 at 3:24:35 pm

Break this animation down into two main sections:
  • Flat material enters from off-screen in the upper-left and travels through gears
  • Bent material emerges from gears and moves off-screen to the upper-right

The first section doesn't loop. The second section loops once the first part of the bent material moves off-screen in the upper right.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on May 20, 2014 at 8:01:59 pm

7524_bendfoamtest.aep.zip

So this is more of a proof of concept than a full solution to your problem so I hope you understand that it is not exactly pretty.

So I ran a stroke around the outside of the bottom gear and animated the start and end percentage so it looks like there is foam being fed through the top and spit out the bottom, but none on the right side of the gear. Then on the bottom of that gear I placed an emitter for trapcode particular. It picks up where the bottom stroke ends and animates up and down with the gear on a loopOut("cycle") expression so that I only had to place a couple keyframes. The emitter moving up and down with the wind blowing the particles to the right made the sin wave you were looking for with the foam being pushed out of the gear.

Like I said this was just a proof of concept and the seams are pretty evident, but it should be a good building block for your effect. Hope that helps.

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on May 20, 2014 at 8:50:00 pm

As a side note the wind speed on Trapcode Particular will control how long the waves are when they come off the gear. I just changed mine to about 85 in the x direction and it works a lot better.

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Mark Pfeffer
on May 20, 2014 at 10:18:13 pm

Awesome!

Will give this a look Doyle.

Thank you so much for posting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved