ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lowering Preview Resolution Doesn't Prevent After Effects From Hanging Up During Scrubbing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Young LeeLowering Preview Resolution Doesn't Prevent After Effects From Hanging Up During Scrubbing
by on May 18, 2014 at 6:47:51 pm

Hey, everybody,

I'm new to the forum, so hi! In AE, I'm using HD footage for this documentary project, and whenever I scrub through it or press the spacebar for preview so that I can adjust how many frames long something should be or when I should split this footage so I can make this part of the footage audio only and show pictures or something or another, I get the spinning beach ball for 10 odd seconds, and then it shows me the next frame in the direction I was scrubbing or the next frame in the preview, and it stops. I have put the preview resolution at, like, rendering every 10 pixels horizontally and vertically, and it still hangs up every time I scrub or preview. I have put my multiprocessing settings to the highest they can be. Nothing is working. What should I do?

Low res proxies seem to work, but I'm wondering if there's any other way to do it, since making the proxies takes some time, while minuscule.

Thanks, Young Lee

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Lowering Preview Resolution Doesn't Prevent After Effects From Hanging Up During Scrubbing
by on May 18, 2014 at 9:17:59 pm

We need to know a lot more to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here:
"FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this foru...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Young LeeRe: Lowering Preview Resolution Doesn't Prevent After Effects From Hanging Up During Scrubbing
by on May 19, 2014 at 2:16:04 am
Last Edited By Young Lee on May 19, 2014 at 2:17:10 am

Oh, sorry, didn't know about that.

AE CS5, 10.0.2.4. That's the latest CS5 minor update.
Mac OS X v. 10.9.2
Mid 2011 Mac Mini
Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
All of my footage looks like this http://puu.sh/8S0lF.png and they're all in .mov containers
All other information should be in the first post.

I have just been making prerendering and making proxies to make everything go faster, and while that has been working very well, it still takes time to do those renders. For some reason, when I make proxies of anything with like 1500 frames or more, AE freezes a lot in the middle of the rendering, and when I make proxies of anything with, say, 4000 frames, it takes horrendously long times of upwards of 15 minutes. So that's why I want to figure something else out.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Lowering Preview Resolution Doesn't Prevent After Effects From Hanging Up During Scrubbing
by on May 19, 2014 at 1:20:22 pm

Two things.

First of all, it sounds like you are trying to use After Effects to edit a documentary. Don't do that. After Effects is not a program for editing. You should use something like Premiere for editing (and sound mixing). After Effects is for motion graphics, compositing, and visual effects. While you can edit with it, it's a painful process. And working with audio in it is even worse.

Secondly, Mavericks is not a supported operating system for CS5. The fact that you have it running at all is lucky.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Lowering Preview Resolution Doesn't Prevent After Effects From Hanging Up During Scrubbing
by on May 19, 2014 at 3:52:56 pm

[Young Lee] "I have put my multiprocessing settings to the highest they can be."

If you are too aggressive with your multiprocessing settings, it can actually slow you down by starving processes of RAM or overscheduling your CPU.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]