ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slow Motion in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry NutkinsSlow Motion in AE
by on May 18, 2014 at 6:09:17 pm

Hi there,

I am wondering if any of the plug-ins in AE can produce a slow motion effect that is similar to footage originally shot at 120fps?

I am hoping to give a 120fps feel to some footage shot at 24fps and am wondering if AE (or any other software) can replicate this accurately or if the effects used for slow motion in AE produce very different results?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Evan RobinsonRe: Slow Motion in AE
by on May 18, 2014 at 6:14:45 pm
Last Edited By Evan Robinson on May 18, 2014 at 6:21:26 pm

After effects has timewarp plugin which interpolates decently if the footage is shot correctly. Also twixtor is good plugin for after effects, but it does cost money. Since you only shot at 24 fps, the results will not be as good as a higher frame rate.

Return to posts index

Terry NutkinsRe: Slow Motion in AE
by on May 18, 2014 at 9:01:56 pm
Last Edited By Terry Nutkins on May 18, 2014 at 9:10:38 pm

Thanks very much for the info. I do actually have some 48fps footage so I'm guessing that would fare better?

Any video links to the most convincing examples of the process in effect would be very gratefully received (that is a sort of 120fps effect and not bullet-time).

I also have some car-mount shots which I need simply to slow down about 50% - can AE do this seamlessly?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2014 at 9:14:26 pm
Last Edited By Evan Robinson on May 18, 2014 at 9:18:40 pm

Exactly,the 48 fps will fare better. Here is an example of twixtor slowing down 60 fps footage to 1 percent. Skip to 50 seconds in the video.

Here is an example of time warp.

To answer your last question, I cannot say if it will look seamlessly unless I see the footage and how it was shot. Usually these shots work best when locked down on a tripod. If the shot is not stable, then the interpolation will not look as convincing. Remember, there is a limit to how much you can fix a shot in post.

E. Robinson

Return to posts index

Terry NutkinsRe: Slow Motion in AE
by on May 18, 2014 at 11:00:53 pm

Thanks very much for the info.

Here is the car-mount shot FYI (there is also I think a problem with motion blur due to the shutter speed which again I'm not sure if it can be rectified): https://vimeo.com/95682583

Do you think it would be easy to to reduce this to around 50% speed seamlessly (and possibly get rid of some of the motion blur)?

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2014 at 11:35:08 pm

Greetings,

This clip actually interpolates nicely. I did this test in under 5 minutes slowing it down 50%. I used pixel motion frame blending. If you spent more time with it, it could actually look pretty good.

I would try stabilizing the video. As for the motion blur, I'm not sure there's much you can do since you shot with a shutter speed too slow. You can try and unsharp mask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]