ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

masking out objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
remi johnsmasking out objects
by on May 17, 2014 at 9:41:11 am

Hi quick question im making a short video for a course im doing, ive shot live footage to start but i want to create an effect where a character move through the frame and objects around them become "cartoonoized" ive found a filter which give a cartoon effect to one layer which ive placed below my normal footage, and i wanted to know if its possible to mask around certain objects so that section of the top footage is transparent and the cartoon layer underneath is partly visible, and then moving the mask along giving the impression that the object has become cartoon as the character passed, hope this isnt to confusingly explained any answers would be appreciated thanks.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: masking out objects
by on May 17, 2014 at 4:40:16 pm

It's called Rotoscoping, and there are a few ways to achieve the effect. By hand drawing a mask, then animating it to follow, by chroma-keying (the footage is already shot, so forget that), or by using the Roto Brush, in my estimation, the easiest way to go:

Don't just jump in and try to use it - it's non-intuitive, but with a tutorial or two, you'll have the technique.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved