ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

converting frame rate from 29.97 to 15 in After Effects CC on Mac OSX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Platt
converting frame rate from 29.97 to 15 in After Effects CC on Mac OSX
on May 15, 2014 at 2:23:24 pm

Hi. I am relatively new to After Effects (6 months going) and have only worked in 15 frame rate with the exception of one file which is 29.97. Now I need to convert the 29.97 frame rate file to 15 after the file has been built. These files are entirely flat illustrator art imported to create a 1 minute animation. Is there a way to convert the frame rate without messing up all of the timing? Or do I need to rebuild the file? Saw another tutorial about frame blending maybe helping this (not familiar with frame blending) but the effect shown in the tutorial was not something I thought would look right with the style of animation being more flat and crisp. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: converting frame rate from 29.97 to 15 in After Effects CC on Mac OSX
on May 15, 2014 at 2:53:56 pm

[Sean Platt] "Now I need to convert the 29.97 frame rate file to 15 after the file has been built. These files are entirely flat illustrator art imported to create a 1 minute animation."

Just open the composition settings (Ctrl+K on PC, Cmd+K on Mac) and change the frame rate to 15. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

[Sean Platt] "Saw another tutorial about frame blending maybe helping this (not familiar with frame blending) but the effect shown in the tutorial was not something I thought would look right with the style of animation being more flat and crisp. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you."

Frame blending applies to video assets. If you're just animating still assets, you don't need to worry about frame blending.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sean Platt
on May 15, 2014 at 3:06:52 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Walter. I have tried that but the timing is still really off. I should have noted in previous post that I am using quite a bit of time remapping. These files are composed of a lot of smaller animations built by layers in Illustrator and imported into After Effects where they are put together along with a vocal track to make a 1 minute animation. Quite a bit of time remapping to match the vocal track. After I have changed the frame rate to 15 in Composition Settings, the time-remapping is all off. I am guessing I will need to rebuild the file but just checking to see if alternative quick fix before doing so.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 15, 2014 at 4:00:15 pm

[Sean Platt] "Thanks for the quick response, Walter. I have tried that but the timing is still really off. I should have noted in previous post that I am using quite a bit of time remapping. These files are composed of a lot of smaller animations built by layers in Illustrator and imported into After Effects where they are put together along with a vocal track to make a 1 minute animation. Quite a bit of time remapping to match the vocal track. After I have changed the frame rate to 15 in Composition Settings, the time-remapping is all off. I am guessing I will need to rebuild the file but just checking to see if alternative quick fix before doing so."

Perhaps lowering the frame rate is causing problems when time-remapping is re-calculated to the nearest frame.

My second suggestion: in your main comp (at 29.97), open Composition Settings, click the Advanced tab, and choose "Preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue."

Then drop your main comp into a new comp, and change the new comp's frame rate to 15 fps. This should give you every other frame from the original.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Sean Platt
on May 15, 2014 at 5:20:09 pm

Thanks Walter. I tried your 2nd suggestion but unfortunately it does not work perfectly. I have some eye blink cycles that don't work correctly once the new comp is converted over to 15 frames per second. It is better but the timing is still off and of course the frames that drop out are needed for the blink cycles and others areas to look right. I don't think I have any other option than to rebuild the file.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 1:05:07 pm

[Sean Platt] "I have some eye blink cycles that don't work correctly once the new comp is converted over to 15 frames per second. It is better but the timing is still off and of course the frames that drop out are needed for the blink cycles and others areas to look right. I don't think I have any other option than to rebuild the file."

Sorry, Sean. Yes, if you have single-frame elements that have to hit at specific times, your best bet is probably to rework it in the native frame rate.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]