ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects: Memory Allocation Error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle MartensAfter Effects: Memory Allocation Error
by on May 13, 2014 at 8:50:29 pm

First time to the forum and a relatively new user in AE.

Here's my error message:
"Memory allocation of 9.2 GB exceeds internal limits. Decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame (12802). For more info: http://www.adobe/com/go/learn_ae_mem"

I'm using a Dell XPS 8700 with 12 GB of RAM and an Intel Core i7 with 4 cores. My comp is a full HD animation simulating a walk through a hallway. There's roughly 14 elements in the composition and the camera movement is a pan in.

I hope this is enough information to get the ball rolling. If more info is needed, I'll do my best to get you what you need.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects: Memory Allocation Error
by on May 13, 2014 at 9:33:33 pm

The problem is that you have at least one frame that is requiring a _vast_ amount of RAM for that single frame. This can happen for a lot of reasons. One reason can be that you have a large asset that you're scaling up to be really, really large because---for example---you're zooming in on it as you approach it in 3D. I use that example because of the specific camera move that you mentioned. Try cropping the asset that you're zooming in on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kyle MartensRe: After Effects: Memory Allocation Error
by on May 14, 2014 at 3:33:33 pm

That is the movement I'm going for. I've edited and cropped the image (now at 3022x3011). However, as soon as I make the layer 3D the message returns.

I've imported the updated file in addition to the existing and one is a .psd (making the error display) the other is not. The error displays as soon as I scrub over the .psd Does that play a role?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects: Memory Allocation Error
by on May 15, 2014 at 5:06:06 pm

Try resizing that PSD in Photoshop (and saving it as a different file so you don't overwrite the large one).
Unless you're moving into a certain spot on the image, it shouldn't need to be so large. Perhaps a lot of your assets are larger than they need to be and thus are taking up tons more RAM than your system can handle.
Are there any effects applied to the PSD layer?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2014 at 10:17:26 pm

The assets are all small .jpgs 1 - 2 MB (800x600 px).

I shrunk the .psd down to 1920x1080 and saved as a 2MB .jpg. Same error. I did find that by turning the 3D layer on and using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out (no scrubbing) caused the error to display.

I replaced my final element and now get an error message specifying that 4.5GB exceeds internal limits instead of 9.2.

Apologies if I'm not getting the right information out there, this is new and quite confusing.

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2014 at 4:24:52 pm

Something, somewhere is making your asset files very large. What effects do you have on your assets? Expressions? Scripts?
Any chance you could upload your project file with or without the assets?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2014 at 7:38:58 pm

I've used a camera movement (pan in), a light source to create a textured background, and the rotation of an element. Thanks for your willingness to work through this with me, I obviously have a lot to learn about AE.

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2014 at 7:54:05 pm

I went back asset by asset and my light was set to cast shadows across all elements. Unchecked the option and I appear good to go. Thanks for your tip, it lead me down the right path.

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2014 at 8:04:14 pm

Glad you figured it out! That makes sense.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]