ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

successive text on changing pie chart

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Schelasuccessive text on changing pie chart
by on May 9, 2014 at 1:34:42 pm

how do you make a text following the reveal of a clock wipe/radial wipe?
I think it will not work with parenting. at least I tried out and had no success.
I have an expression on the start angle which gets input from the transition completion controlled via slider control. So I think it must be possible to link the position/rotation of a text layer to the start angle as well.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: successive text on changing pie chart
by on May 9, 2014 at 1:59:00 pm

Open the layer with the slider controlling the expression and use the lock so you can easily pickwhip to it.

Press "shift+cntl+alt+t" to create a new text layer, twirl open to Source text and alt click the stop watch. Type in myNum = Math.round(
pickwhip to your slider and at the end add .value);

Then return and add the second line to get your number and a percent sign.

myNum = Math.round(thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Slider Control")("Slider").value);
myNum + "%"

Here's a quick example project: 7472_percenteffect.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sarah SchelaRe: successive text on changing pie chart
by on May 9, 2014 at 2:31:21 pm

thank you for the quick reply! this is great thank you!
I have another problem:
so is it possible to change the position of the value along the pie chart so that it follows the reveal of the pie chart?
i.e. you have an amount of 33%, and this number stands at the outer border of the pie chart, and the value then changes to 20%, and the whole pie chart shifts and the text follows it with it's position, too.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: successive text on changing pie chart
by on May 9, 2014 at 4:05:29 pm

They're may be a more elegant way to do this but this will work. Start by setting your slider to 0(delete keyframes), and place your text at the 0 point(in my example that would be dead center at the title safe.) Make sure the anchor point of your text layer is in the dead center of the layer. You can use "Y" to move the layer's anchor point and hold down cntl to get it to snap. Create another null and name it "Rotation", open up the rotation parameter and this expression:

input = thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
ease(input, 0,100, 0, 360)

What that does is look at your input slider and maps 0 to 100 to 0 to 360, so that when you input 50, it will rotate 180 degrees. Now Parent your text to the null "rotation". Lastly, open up the text's rotation, alt+click to start and expression, type in a "-" minus sign and then pickwhip to your rotation's "rotation" property. This will make your text rotate the opposite of the null, so it's always level.

I updated the example project, but made one change, I changed the ease expression to
ease(input, 0,100, 45, 360)*.5

That way the text starts a little bit into pie chart, and for every percent increase only rotates half as much. It, keeps the text relatively in the middle of the pie.

7474_percentandtextposition.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2014 at 5:49:26 pm

thank you so much for undertaking this problem!
Indeed one expression I needed was how to change the input of 0-360 to 0-100. That helped a lot!
In the end, I ended up kinda combining your things and the settings I used so far. And like yours it is kinda offset a little bit so I tweaked some values. It's working somehow, but surely there is a more elegant way!
Seems to be a tricky thing.

Thank you very much for your advices and fast replies! I learned a lot!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: successive text on changing pie chart
by on May 10, 2014 at 1:05:45 am

trig controls the text for the movable pie pieces

http://f1.creativecow.net/1443/ae-cs3-auto-text-orient-pie-pieces

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2014 at 1:30:43 pm

oh thank you so much! I fixed the problem now.
you learn with every project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]