ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Broadcast-safe colors applied, tape still rejected

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago AvilaBroadcast-safe colors applied, tape still rejected
by on May 8, 2014 at 6:46:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on some pieces for a TV show and I've applied broadcast safe limits using an adjustment layer with Levels at 16 black in/output and 235 white in/output, but the file we sent was rejected by the station, claiming there's "chroma saturation".

Their specifications say the maximum must be 100 IRE; I've put a Broadcast Colors effect after Levels with 100 IRE as Maximum Signal and the whole image is keyed out as unsafe! White output must be at 145 to avoid this, and the image looks just too dark that way...
I tried using the default IRE value (110) and I just had to do some fine adjustments.
Still, I thought those IRE values were for analog tapes... isn't that right?

Sorry for my ignorance, these issues are completely new to me.

Thanks!

PS: The footage is in HDV 1440x1920 with 1.33 aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Broadcast-safe colors applied, tape still rejected
by on May 8, 2014 at 9:14:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 9, 2014 at 12:15:43 am

Broadcast Colors may be the most useless effect in AE. It almost NEVER works properly. Just forget about using it. Frankly, because it has a decades-old bad reputation, I don't understand why Adobe still even includes it.

Do you have another method besides AE to fix the chroma levels? One that you trust? Use it.

Failing that, you can try using Color finesse in AE. Be prepared to do some reading and tutorial viewing.

Or... since you may have included graphics containing illegal colors in the course of your AE work, you may try fixing just the bad colors without affecting the rest of your work. Reds are particularly bad... and in my experience, it's easy to overdo cyan as well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Santiago AvilaRe: Broadcast-safe colors applied, tape still rejected
by on May 9, 2014 at 4:37:26 pm

Thank you for your answer Dave.

Doing too visible modifications to the comp colors is a bit difficult, as the pieces are already approved. I've used a lot of blending modes and stacked layers, which is probably what's causing the illegal colors, but that effect was the main idea for the comps...

I'll go check some tutorials of Color Finesse. What I'm not understanding though is if the problem is the addition between R, G and/or B that generates the illegal colors, or is it the fact that maybe at some point the individual values of a color goes over 235? Again, sorry for the ignorance, this is new territory to me.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Broadcast-safe colors applied, tape still rejected
by on May 9, 2014 at 5:12:42 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 9, 2014 at 5:15:44 pm

A blend mode could certainly do it.

If you want to use the Blunt Force method to fix illegal colors, Nest the finished comp in a new comp, apply the Hue-Saturation effect, and set Master Saturation to about -12.

It's not very elegant, but it is fast and easy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Broadcast-safe colors applied, tape still rejected
by on May 10, 2014 at 1:12:36 am

actually broadcast colors would need to be layered as two effects, one as luminance, the other as saturation.

also, color finesse has a smart limiter that smoothly transitions to safe without a chop block method. Also, a master reduction in saturation might end up looking washed out. If you are going for the manual method, at least create a luma transfer matte for the color so it reduces the saturation geometrically.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]