ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton WhitakerCan't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 8, 2014 at 2:33:33 pm

Hey guys,

I've been using CC for quite some time now without a hitch. Today I've run into a problem I've never seen: I am totally unable to edit keyframes (meaning right-click and adjust keyframe interpolation, toggle keyframe hold, etc) and it is only in one particular comp. I've tried deleting my preferences but other than that, I can't seem to figure out where the problem is coming from nor how to go about fixing it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

--
MJ Whitaker
Motion Designer / Visual FX Artist

Return to posts index

Milton WhitakerRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 8, 2014 at 2:38:48 pm

Also, I should add that I tried creating a new comp and copying and pasting the layers into it, but when I select all of the layers i get an error saying:

After Effects can't continue: an input contract violation has occurred

Thoughts?

--
MJ Whitaker

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 8, 2014 at 3:19:03 pm

That message is typically because of a badly written third-party plug-in. Are you using any third-party effects in this composition?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Milton WhitakerRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 8, 2014 at 3:32:17 pm

The only 3rd party plugin used is Particular, which is precomped and turned off. Also nothing is locked. I also forgot to mention that I can't select any keyframes directly by clicking, I have to drag select them. And even then, I can't move them or make any modifications. I can however access all keyframe interpolation controls through the Animation menu but just not directly. On the other hand, when I add new layers to the comp I can adjust the keyframes however I want with no problems.

--
MJ Whitaker

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 8, 2014 at 10:24:54 pm

As Todd's suggested, it's very likely a plugin issue. What are the effects you've applied to the problem layers?

HTH
RoRK
Gaudy Teaser Promo for an upcoming AE Type Gizmo.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 9, 2014 at 3:46:54 am

Were the keyframes created in a composition that then had its framerate changed?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Mazyar SharifianRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 7:04:27 am

I ran into the same problem and I realized that it is due to framerate change.

I had a text layer in a 25fps comp which was a subtitle for a feature film.

Then the client requested a 24fps version of the subtitle for cinema premiere so I copied the text layer from 25fps comp to a new 24fps one.

At first I didn't have any problems, but later on, when I arrived at around 45 min, the mentioned problem happend.

Solution:
The solution is simple. Just create your layer from scratch in a comp with a correct framerate (In my case, a text layer in a 24fps comp), then copy the attributes (Effects and Keyframes) from the one which is locked to the new one and then replace the new one with the old one.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Can't edit keyframes in After Effects CC
by on May 8, 2014 at 2:39:30 pm

Did you inadvertently lock the layer with keyframes?

HTH
RoRK
Gaudy Teaser Promo for an upcoming AE Type Gizmo.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]