ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New to AE. How do I add time between keyframes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Gags
New to AE. How do I add time between keyframes?
on May 6, 2014 at 1:38:58 am

I purchased an AE template online. On the time remap line I see 4 yellow dots. The first 2 are the IN animation, the 2nd two are the OUT animation. I would like to add 30 seconds or so in between dot 2 and 3 so the images pauses for a while. How do I do that?

See attachment. At the cursor is where I need to extend it. Thanks. Rich

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
Re: New to AE. How do I add time between keyframes?
on May 6, 2014 at 4:05:36 am

That is going to depend entirely upon the template. Some templates can make changes to timing very easily, while others are going to require more changes which may involve every layer.

I can't say without having the template in front of me, but this should work. Grab every layer (make sure no layers are hidden by being 'shy') and move them all to the right about 30 seconds or so to give you some handle (I hate how so many templates don't give handle). This may mean that you need to increase your comp duration.

Grab and drag the left of the insignia1 layer. Then grab both of the in-point keyframes to move them to the desired length. This *should* work, though can't really tell without looking at the actual project. Typically that's how it goes with the AE templates, if you want to change the timing of something, you have to move everything else otherwise the rest of the comp won't line up. Some templates can make timing changes easy, but I've found those to be in the minority.

Return to posts index

Rich Gags
on May 6, 2014 at 11:18:41 am

Thank you so much. That seemed to work. I did what you suggested. When I tried to do it on the next layer, my screen went blank and my MacBook fan kicked on. I had to hard reset the machine. I reloaded the mac, opened AE again and it happened again.

Being new to AE, is this a common problem? Do I need to change any settings for hardware acceleration or is my AE installation or template corrupt somehow? Ive never had this happen before. I know video applications are memory intensive. Maybe I have a bad memory block? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 6, 2014 at 11:42:12 am

That sounds like a hardware problem, if the fan is turning on. Maybe caused by AE needing a lot of RAM to continue, but I use PC, so maybe a Mac guy can help you out.

As far as the keyframes go, you only need press "U"(like you did in your picture) and just grab the two right keyframes, they are the out keyframes. Move both of them together 30 seconds down the timeline. Go past the last keyframe now and press "]" to extend the layer to your new duration. You will have to do this for every layer you would like to extend.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Rich Gags
on May 7, 2014 at 11:46:05 am

OK WIll try that. Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]