ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GPU activity monitoring?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
GPU activity monitoring?
on May 5, 2014 at 11:04:17 pm

Can someone recommend a utility that will allow me to monitor my dual d700 gpu usage while I work and render (like the CPU usage window in Activity Monitor)?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: GPU activity monitoring?
on May 6, 2014 at 5:39:30 am

I don't understand why you even think that's relevant. After Effects uses the GPU for almost nothing.

Details of the very few things that After Effects uses the GPU for are here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Hendrix To
on May 6, 2014 at 7:08:20 pm

element 3D and many other plug-in do use GPU .

if After Effects still uses the GPU for almost nothing. it will be less competitive on real time preview VS Motion .

http://www.hendrix.to

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on May 6, 2014 at 7:16:13 pm

Well, perhaps I'm in the minority of Ae users who uses plugins. Off the top of my head here's a list of some plugins I use which utilize the GPU for either OpenGL or OpenCL: Element 3D, Mir, Form, Colorista, Plexus, and the new RG Universe plugins. I also render C4D Lite scenes within Ae, and render Ae projects within AME with GPU rendering support enabled.

I also know that Adobe's Ae team had asked people how interested they were in having the Ae team focus primarily on speed updates instead of features this year, and they got overwhelmingly positive response on focusing on speed. I would hope those plans would include leveraging of GPGPU when they get rolled out.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on May 6, 2014 at 9:36:53 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on May 6, 2014 at 9:37:13 pm

AME rendering is different than using the AE Render engine when using the render queue. The GPU acceleration in AME is the MPE engine. The GPU acceleration in AE render queue is the Ray Tracer if you switch to that render engine/player. Ray Tracer is Nvidia only so the AMD cards will not utilize that anyway. If you use the AME or any Red Giant plugins that use GPU acceleration then the AMD cards should get used if Open CL is supported for that Red Giant product. C4D doesn't support GPU acceleration unless you get a 3rd party renderer such as Octane.

Until Adobe completely revamps/re-engineers the AE player/Render engine GPU acceleration will be limited and completely different than Premiere or AME.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Adam Neer
on May 7, 2014 at 5:09:51 pm

I would also like to know the answer to the OP's question, and I don't think relevance has anything to do with it. Even if AE uses next to nothing in terms of the GPU, being able to monitor it would at the very least provide an outlet for curiosity. I currently use iStat menus, which seems to have a very limited "realtime" view of GPU usage.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 7, 2014 at 5:27:49 pm

[Adam Neer] "I would also like to know the answer to the OP's question, and I don't think relevance has anything to do with it. Even if AE uses next to nothing in terms of the GPU, being able to monitor it would at the very least provide an outlet for curiosity. I currently use iStat menus, which seems to have a very limited "realtime" view of GPU usage."

For Windows, GPU-Z is excellent.

For Mac... I don't know of anything. atMonitor used to monitor GPU usage, but they had to stop to keep compatibility with OS X 10.8. Then 10.9 apparently changed some things about interfacing with the GPU again, so I think this is a bit of a moving target.

There used to be some kind of OpenGL monitor with the Apple Developer Tools; I'm not sure what the current status is.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on May 7, 2014 at 10:02:18 pm

Yeah, I tried atMonitor yesterday--it mostly crashes but when it did open it wasn't actually tracking the GPU. I put in a feature request with Apple to have this added to Activity Monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]