ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reduce Project feature

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shahed NaderiReduce Project feature
by on May 4, 2014 at 11:18:34 pm

hello

I have a bit complicated project , when I want to reduce it to a comp it dont remove other comps . I think It's because of common shared solids and adjustment layers .
I want to know if there is a fast way to make those elements unique to their comp

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Reduce Project feature
by on May 5, 2014 at 1:56:07 pm

This will remove anything that is unused in your project:

http://aescripts.com/project-cleaner/

One way to make it more effective is to go in and replace any nulls or solids that are the same with just a single one. For example, if you only ever use 1 null per comp, just replace all the nulls with "null 1" and then run the script.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Shahed NaderiRe: Reduce Project feature
by on May 5, 2014 at 3:07:06 pm

thank you George, actually that was what I done, but it didnt reduced it to those comp which I want to hold on to, I give this script a try ,
thank you ,
would you take a look at my other post under the name of glass effect ?
I posted it last night also.

thank you Sincerely

-shahed

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Reduce Project feature
by on May 5, 2014 at 3:18:02 pm

[Shahed Naderi] "I have a bit complicated project , when I want to reduce it to a comp it dont remove other comps . I think It's because of common shared solids and adjustment layers . I want to know if there is a fast way to make those elements unique to their comp"

To confirm -- you are selecting the comp you want to keep (and only the comp you want to keep), then using File > Dependencies > Reduce Project (or File > Reduce Project, depending on your version).

A shared asset in a comp will not stop Reduce Project from removing that comp. Are you sure that the main comp is NOT dependent on those other comps somehow? If any of those comps appear as layers in the main comp (even if they are guide layers or invisible), Ae will consider them dependencies and will not remove them during Reduce Projects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 3:55:53 pm

yes I'm sure those comps which I wanted to be removed they dont share anything in common with my main comp , I even replaced all solids and adjustment layers with new ones , but the option didnt work .
but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
thank you Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 4:08:56 pm

[Shahed Naderi] "yes I'm sure those comps which I wanted to be removed they dont share anything in common with my main comp , I even replaced all solids and adjustment layers with new ones , but the option didnt work . "

I think you misunderstand me. It doesn't matter to "Reduce Project" if the comps reference the same assets.

For example:

COMP A
--- Asset 1
--- Asset 2

COMP B
--- Asset 1
--- Asset 3

If you select COMP A and do a Reduce Project, it will delete COMP B even though they share Asset 1. It will not delete Asset 1 or Asset 2 since they is necessary for COMP A. It will delete Asset 3 since that is not used in COMP A.

Now consider this:

COMP A
--- Asset 1
--- COMP B

COMP B
--- Asset 2
--- Asset 3

If you select COMP A and use Reduce Project, it will not delete COMP B, nor Asset 2 nor Asset 3. It looks into COMP A, sees that COMP B is necessary to render COMP A, and it sees that Assets 2 and 3 are necessary to render COMP B and thus COMP A, and leaves them all intact.

Are the comps you are trying to remove from your project actually used somewhere in the comp you're trying to keep? If they are, they cannot be removed by Reduce Project.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 4:23:31 pm

yes , I got it , and no , they dont share anything in common , just solids maybe, I need to look closer

thank you

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 4:06:48 pm

Walter would you be kind enough to look at this post ?
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1050862

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 4:12:17 pm

[Shahed Naderi] "Walter would you be kind enough to look at this post ? http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1050862"

I'll try to check later it this afternoon. I'm in the middle of some work and renders at the moment.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 9:51:28 pm

I think I found the answer , all the comps that I wanted to get rid of share the same expression , they refer to main comp, is it right ?

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 10:04:36 pm

[Shahed Naderi] "I think I found the answer , all the comps that I wanted to get rid of share the same expression , they refer to main comp, is it right ?"

Nope. It doesn't matter what's in the comps you want to delete -- and Reduce Projects does not evaluate expressions to see if they're necessary even for dependencies, so if something is ONLY referenced by expression from the comp you keep, it will blow them away and break your expressions.

If the comp you want to keep requires other comps, it will not delete them.

Please confirm these are true:

You are selecting the comp(s) you want to keep in the project panel and nothing else, then using File > Dependencies > Reduce Project.

The comp you want to keep does not contain the comps you want to delete at all -- neither directly, nor in nested precomps.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 11:00:58 pm

yes , I'm doing it like that , but it dont remove other comps, and yes , It broke the expression , they are not in my main comp , and no use of them , it's a bit strange , and that script didnt do a damn thing also. :)

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 11:01:54 pm

Can you post the AEP? I don't need assets, just the project file to see what's going on.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 11:25:26 pm

I'm uploading the project somewhere and I'll send link to info@keenlive.com , it's really kind of you to taking a time and looking at it. thank you. I wanted to keep those comps which are visible in main comp and remove the others , for doing so , I first removed them in main comp and then tried to reduce it. and I expected those other comp to go away . but not happened .as I said before I tried to change everything and make it unique to that visible comp (//-Glass I 01) , but it dont remove other things which I dont want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]