ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion tracking with Mocha

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iris Moleman
Motion tracking with Mocha
on May 3, 2014 at 10:51:34 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to use the corner-pin-tracking option of Mocha for this piece of footage:

(starting at 0:21)

I'd like to track the sides of the cubes to get the corner-pin-transformation-data, so I can replace the lettered sides with something else in After Effects.

But it doesn't seem to work. The shape of the spline keeps changing, but the position of the spline doesn't change...it doesn't follow the cube.

If been trying lóts of different settings for a week now, but I still don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Iris

P.s. thing I tried are changing from 'Luminance' to 'Auto Channel', setting the Min % Pixels Used, changing Motion options (Translation, scale, perspective, etc.), Large/Small motion, setting the search region manually, changing the size of the spline and surface.
I also increased the contrast of the footage in After effects before importing it into Mocha, but nothing helped.

I'm using After Effects CC

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Motion tracking with Mocha
on May 4, 2014 at 1:24:53 am

When you say the sides of the cubes do you mean only the sides with the letters or do you include the sides without letters?

To track the sides with letters, I would start by tracking with Shear or Transforms (ie no shear and no perspective) in mocha's search parameters section. Increase minimum % of pixels used to 90. Draw your tracking splines to enclose the letters.

If you are still having issues, then describe more clearly when and where the issue occurs. You should also include a screencap of your search parameters, your tracking spline and your planar surface.

HTH
RoRK
Gaudy Teaser Promo for an upcoming AE Type Gizmo.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Iris Moleman
on May 4, 2014 at 1:33:39 pm

Hi,

Thanx for your answer!

I'd like to track the sides with the letters, not the other sides.

I used your tips, but it didn't work for me. In the following example, the cube moves upside, but the spline stays on the same hight as before. It only moves a little bit to the foreground.

First frame:

Second frame:

These are my spline, surface, grid and settings:

Spline:

Surface:

Grid:

Settings first try:

Settings 2nd try (including 'shear'):

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 4, 2014 at 2:52:55 pm

I've noticed that the letters animate and that the colors are not clean and move quite a bit. There's also a fair bit of perspective change in the letters which may have been helped by switching on mocha's perspective search parameter.

Due to the letters and colors animating, I don't see how mocha will be able to do a good job here. I suggest that you look into using AE's Motion Tracker.

See this thread for tips on using AE's Motion Tracker - http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1046904

HTH
RoRK
Gaudy Teaser Promo for an upcoming AE Type Gizmo.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Iris Moleman
on May 15, 2014 at 9:29:52 pm

Allright, I'll have a look at AE's Motion Tracker.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]