ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Removing a reflection of crew member in glass door

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim FranklinRemoving a reflection of crew member in glass door
by on Apr 28, 2014 at 3:26:53 am

I was given a shot that has a brief but obvious reflection of a crew member in a glass door that the main character actually walks through soon after.

So here's a quick overview - A man walks towards a glass door, crew member appears in reflection on glass door for a solid second or 2 then moves out of the way, man opens glass door, crew member is visible again for 5 frames or so.

Normally, if he didn't walk through the door I would use the clone tool, use a still or some other approach.

I'm considering redesigning the door in Cinema 4D. I can't seem to find any good tutorials that resemble this kind of project so I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Are there any tutorials that could help with this?
Maybe there's a technique for removing reflections I'm not aware of...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: moving a reflection of crew member in glass door
by on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:59:15 am

I once removed crew members in reflections by making the door look like it was frosted glass and rotoing people as needed. This just blurs the reflections instead if changing them though. Worked in my situation. May not work for yours.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Declan SmithRe: moving a reflection of crew member in glass door
by on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:10:57 am

It's difficult to know exactly without seeing the shot, but I would break this problem down into two.
First you have the crew member hanging about. From your description, there are enough clear frames to remove the crew member using the clone tool before the actor / door opens, so fix this problem by duplicating the layer and using the clone tool, then trim the length of this layer to suit.

Next the opening door. This I would tackle by using mocha AE to track the door then create a stabilised precomp in AE and paint over the offending frames. How to paint, an with what depends on your footage. There is an excellent script called mocha import for doing the import and stabilised precomp creation and a search will yield some tutorials.

Declan Smith
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved