ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best way to transfer footage to a new file?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert KornsteinBest way to transfer footage to a new file?
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 9:02:24 pm

I am working on a series of animations with recurring characters. The designs are all AI files, and originally the character models were part of the main AI files. Today I decided to re-organize and give each character their own AI file. I don't want to simply delete and re-import the footage in After Effects because all of the characters already have puppets set up.

What is the best way to re-link the footage en masse in After Effects to the new files? It would be very tedious to go through one by one hitting "Replace Footage."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best way to transfer footage to a new file?
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 9:56:30 pm

Did you move these files from one folder to another? Is each character in its own separate Illustrator file? Did you alter the original Illustrator documents to break the characters out into separate documents?

I'm not clear on what took place.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert KornsteinRe: Best way to transfer footage to a new file?
by on Apr 26, 2014 at 12:44:45 am

Right now, the After Effects file is linked to one big Illustrator file containing all of the characters' individual body parts. I split up all the characters into their own individual Illustrator files, but the After Effects file is still linked to the original Illustrator file. I'd like to switch the link to the individual files without having to hit Replace Footage one by one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best way to transfer footage to a new file?
by on Apr 26, 2014 at 1:09:03 am

I was afraid of that. I don't know of any way to do it other than the slow, painful way you describe.

Perhaps someone else knows of a miracle script you can use; keep your fingers crossed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]