ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effects cc sphere polar warping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex nordstromafter effects cc sphere polar warping
by on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:38:22 pm

so, i just watched Video Copilot's amazing new solar tutorial (here if you live under a rock and haven't seen it yet) and he used CC sphere to create his sun, but it had some terrible distortion around the poles. he solved this simply by rotating the sun a bit.

i was wondering if there was a good way to counter this problem and still turn up a good looking effect using some sort of distortion. i have had no luck yet, anyone got any suggestions?

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: after effects cc sphere polar warping
by on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:47:52 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:56:22 pm

You might look on the NASA web site to see if there are any sperical maps of the sun. I've seen lots of web sites that have them for all the planets. google spherical maps and I'm sure you'll find something.

With a spherical map, you don't get the nasty distortion at the poles. They're made in a 2:1 aspect ratio -- what you need for a sphere plugin -- and they're already distorted. You apply the sphere effect, and everything looks fine because it's all distorted into the proper shape and place by the effect.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: after effects cc sphere polar warping
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:35:42 pm

it's pretty simple.

before taking the star map comp into the next comp and adding cc sphere, drag it onto the new comp icon. name it star map2

duplicate the star map layer, name it pole 1 and add the polar coordinates effect ans set the interpolation to 100.

then add the linear wipe effect set the angle to 0 and the completeness to around 75-80% and feather to about 15% of the comp height, or whatever seems to make it blend with the original star map layer.

once you have it the way you like it, duplicate that pole 1 layer and rotate it 180.

now that that comp (start map2) into the next comp and cc sphere it.

as you rotate it around you shouldn't see the pinching and the poles.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: after effects cc sphere polar warping
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:44:31 pm

and you can get rid of the seam in the back by duplicating the start map layer, add the offset effect, setting the x value to the layer width and dragging that bellow the original star map layer.

then ad a mask to that original star map layer, sectioning off about the middle 1/2 or 1/3 and then increasing the feather of the x component to blend them together.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]