ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotoscope or key?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hasler
Rotoscope or key?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:21:40 pm

Hi,
I have to composite a person multiple times in a scene that is meant to be in a dark room. See example storyboard image for one possible shot.

What would be the best approach to this for filming and compositing. Shoot on dark set or chroma key? Rotoscope or key?

Thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rotoscope or key?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:34:15 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58:41 pm

Will there also be a fog machine to create the mist we see in the picture? You'd be asking for trouble.....

....and here's another question: if it's going to be that dark, why would they all have to be the same person? You can't make out any facial details.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Hasler
on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:09:50 am

Hi Dave thanks for the response.

There will be no fog in the shot. The image was a little stylised. Basically the scene will be a main character who walks and interacts with another (himself) in a dark room while surrounded by identical characters. The scene will have many varying shots where you will need to see the faces of some characters and not of others from different angles. I was thinking of filming the sequence with the main character first and then filming the same actor from the various angles to composite into the shots as the identical people standing around.

If the room didn't need to be so dark I would do it all chroma key. I am just concerned I will get too much reflected light on the actor from the chroma key and it may be more work in post trying to remove the excess light spill.

What do you think?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:23:34 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:44:22 am

Hmmmm.... you CAN do it with chroma key and lower-than normal lighting on the subject, then using Color Finesse to further darken up the subject.

But you'll need three things:
1) A BIG seamless green screen -- think of a studio with a green endless cyc -- because it'll be a pretty wide shot with people walking around in it. You can run out of green background very quickly.
2) Good lighting, with the the subject(s) and background lit separately, so you can do that nice edge lighting on the subjects with no key lighting. To do this, the subject(s) and background have to be some distance apart -- another argument for a BIG green screen.
3) A GOOD camera (with auto features disabled: iris & focus manually) to get the edges on the subject(s) looking right against the green background. That's where cameras like DSLR's fall on their faces... or lenses, if you prefer. The lousy color resolution of the video codecs used in a DSLR blurs the COLORS st the edges -- not the luminance -- and what do you need for a nice, clean chroma key? Why, nice edges, of course.

The thing that has me stumped is how you'd have your people wandering aimlessly. There's a very good chance you'd have people walking right through each other in the composite... and that would certainly blow the illusion. You'd better think about how to move people in various planes. And choreography.

This is one of those shots that sounds pretty easy to do, and then the details come and bite you. So plan, plan, plan!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Hasler
on Apr 25, 2014 at 2:02:10 am

Yep I have a lot of planning to get this right but I am persistant and do love the challenge. Thanks for the help.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]