ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing opacity of a comp with continuously rasterised layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deniz Nasif
Changing opacity of a comp with continuously rasterised layers
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:27:54 pm

Hello,

I have a comp that has 2 illustrator ai layers that are set to 'continuous rasterize'. I then also set the actual comp in my main comp to the same setting and scale it up to the size I want, and all looks fine. However, when I adjust the opacity of this comp, rather than adjust the opacity of the comp as a whole, each layer of my comp seems to have the opacity adjusted separately and I can see through each layer of my comp. i.e.; I can see the bottom layer through my top layer.

Why is it doing this and is there a way around it?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Changing opacity of a comp with continuously rasterised layers
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:10:07 pm

The "continuously rasterize" setting for vector layers is called "collapse transformations" for comp layers.

Instead of rendering the comp layer and then applying transformations and blending to the composite as a whole, collapse transformations tells Ae to apply transformations and blending to each element within the comp layer individually, as if it were inside the main comp.

If you can size the elements in the precomp so as to avoid the need to collapse transformations on its layer in the main comp, you can avoid this issue.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Deniz Nasif
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:30:43 pm

Thanks Walter, will do

Return to posts index

Kevin Knutson
on Jan 23, 2015 at 12:24:10 am

I recently had this same obstacle. I got around it by creating a black solid layer above the comp that was being continuously rasterized, and then using a luma track matte.

The black solid could change opacity and keyframe, and the track matte applied a universal opacity change accordingly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]