ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slowly changing the color of an object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Slowly changing the color of an object
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:05:18 am

I have an idea of a red rose slowly turning black, is it possible to achieve this in AE?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks,
Jason.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Slowly changing the color of an object
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:55:11 pm

Without actually seeing the shot, the answer is maybe, using what's called Secondary Color Correction - here's a tutorial from Andrew Devis:

It can be done in the 3-way color corrector, or Color Finesse, or Red Giant Colorista II, among others. Secondary color correction allows you to alter the saturation, luminance and hue of yellow, magenta, cyan, blue, green and red. It's not an intuitive process, so choose your tool, and then go out and do some tutorials on it. The odds are you may not be able to get a pure black (although you may get really close reducing saturation), but at the very least, a dark purple might be achieved.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:59:27 pm

This is an effect you can accomplish in a bunch of different ways, but basically you are going to want to isolate the rose. Your approach is going to depend on your footage.

One way would be to duplicate your footage, mask the rose, apply color effects to get turn it black and just fade up the masked layer. You could try use the Change Color or Change to Color Effects---though I sometimes find I need multiple instance to get this to work effectively.

I did a quick sample project and got good results using a Shift Channel Effect, and getting my red information from the green channel. Then just fading that layer up over my regular footage.

Then I did another try where I used "Set Matte" effect, used the green channel as an inverted alpha, and set that as a track matte of a lower layer that I tweaked to be a very black rose.

Here's my quick examples, hopefully one will get you started down the right path: 7399_rosefolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:02:11 pm

Another method you could try is to see if you can just pull a straight key from the rose. If it's the only red in the scene, it probably won't be that hard, you could then use that as an alpha matte over your video layer that you apply color effects.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]