ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendered AE file: Where did it go?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Rendered AE file: Where did it go?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 5:19:03 am

Hi, folks.
I just rendered a file (stabilization of shaky video footage), and I can't find the output file. I know it went onto my internal drive, because now that's full! I had set the overflow to go to an external drive, thinking this would ensure the output file didn't go onto my internal drive. But, it didn't work. I now have only 5 MB of drive space. Please help! How can I find where After Effects (CS4) put the output file (i.e. where is the stabilized file, i.e. the one created from the original shaky footage).
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Rendered AE file: Where did it go?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 6:09:11 am

I'm on CS6, but I assume it's the same for your version. In the Render Queue it will show your designated file path when you twirl open the Output Module.

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Apr 24, 2014 at 6:26:39 am
Last Edited By Vic Noseworthy on Apr 24, 2014 at 6:34:56 am

Thanks, Jim. I found it. However, the ouput file is huge! A 75-second clip in 1920x1080 ProRes is 13GB. The clip is a small segment of a much longer (31-minute) clip, which is only 31 GB. Why, when I rendered the small segment, did it create such a huge file? Is there a way to make it smaller? (Just thought of this: perhaps it's because of the bit depth setting in AE? It may be set to 16 bit. Could that be it? In the meantime, I'll check the settings in AE. But, just in case it's not the cause, any thoughts?)
Thank you, again!
Vic
Update: I checked, and the bit depth setting is set to 8 bit. Any ideas on why the output file is so large? (It's so large, it won't even play properly on my computer) Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:57:48 pm
Last Edited By Walter Soyka on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:41:42 pm

[Vic Noseworthy] "Any ideas on why the output file is so large? (It's so large, it won't even play properly on my computer)"

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering. For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

To help you choose a more suitable format for your needs, see the related Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Apr 24, 2014 at 3:56:12 pm

Just a heads-up Walter - that second link generates a 404.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:25:55 pm

This is the link he meant to give.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:42:48 pm

Thanks, gents -- I updated my post accordingly!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Apr 25, 2014 at 11:44:18 am

Thanks so much, Walter! I did (finally) get the file down from 13 GB to 1 GB by exporting to ProRes422. Job done! Thank you, again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]