ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about showing 50+ videos in the same frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boe Beito
Question about showing 50+ videos in the same frame
on Apr 23, 2014 at 9:54:12 pm

Hi folks,

I'm working on a new editing reel and I'm trying to be economical with time. I've filmed/edited almost 100 interviews over the years and I'd like to do the following composition:
I want the shot to start out on some simple 1080p footage of one of my interviews, then after a couple of seconds, I want to do a gradual zoom out revealing that this video is one of many that are playing in a grid within the frame. The more it zooms it, the more videos/interviews are shown, until eventually we see all 50+ of them.

My question is, what's the best way to go about this? My experience with after effects is fairly basic but I've done a little bit with the 3d cameras, which is what I assume I'll have to use. Should I make a 1080p comp and shrink everything down or a giant comp and zoom in? I'm sure with the former method, the video that starts off the clip - being zoomed way in to see - will be about 4 pixels and look pretty dreadful.

Any advice you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Question about showing 50+ videos in the same frame
on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:14:34 pm

If you're NOT going to be doing anything other than the zoom out, just make up a grid of your videos, and parent them to the first one. Then animate the scale & position of the first one.

A note on making that grid: if everything will be the same size & screen aspect ratio (4x3, 16x9), think in terms of squares. For example, three across and three down means all the clips are the same size; 3x3=9, or three squared.

So you could have grids of 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64... or 81, which is really pushing it in terms of visibility.

And if you're mixing 4x3 and 16x9, your task won't be nearly the no-brainer as described above.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:41:42 am

You got answers here, too:
http://www.reddit.com/r/AfterEffects/comments/23suqm/question_about_showing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Boe Beito
on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:16:43 pm

Thanks, Dave!

The method worked perfect but I'm having an issue with dropped frames on the individual clips within my comp. Here's the clip and you can see the flickering frames on a couple of them.

When I solo each problematic clip and ram preview it, there's no flickering. I've tried rendering it out (lossless) a couple of times with random different results each time. When I send it to media encoder to render, it doesn't have any flickering but for some reason insists on downressing the clip to 1440x1080.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

-Boe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:46:05 pm

Your RAM Preview probably can't keep up with all those video clips. Drop the comp window resolution to half and preview again; I bet it's fine.

You never knew that camera makers cheat when they shoot at 1080, huh? Well, a lot of them do.1440x1080 is a common resolution for camera footage. Make yourself a 1920x1080 comp and put your footage into it, and life gets better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]