ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

No audio on imported mpeg

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Britt WarrenNo audio on imported mpeg
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:53:43 pm

Hello,
I am running Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC on Windows 7.

When I export "match sequence settings" in Premiere, and import the resulting mpeg into After Effects, After Effects does not read audio on the clip. When I open the mpeg straight out of Premiere with Windows Media Player, there is in fact audio. What's going on here? I noticed this problem when I switched from CS6 to CC.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: No audio on imported mpeg
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 3:00:01 pm

Is the audio there in that particular MPEG if you import it to CS6?
What are the specs of your render from Premiere? What codec, etc.?
What version of CS6 and what version of CC?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Britt WarrenRe: No audio on imported mpeg
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:05:19 pm

From Premiere I am clicking "match sequence settings"
(1920x1080, 23.976, square pixels, progressive)

Format: MPEG Preview
Video Codec: MPEG I-Frame
Audio Codec: Uncompressed

Original video is from a Canon 7D, audio was recorded externally and synced in Premiere. However, I've had the same problem when using video from a Sony EX3 with internal audio recording, so I don't think the actual audio is causing it.

Yes, when I pull the clip into CS6 the audio shows up, but I did use CS6 on a different machine to test this. I no longer have CS6 on the machine I am running CC on, which is the machine I primarily use.

After Effects CC Version 12.2.1.5
Premiere CC Version 7.2.1 (4)
After Effects CS6 Version 11.0.4.2

(I am pretty sure I have Creative Cloud set up to notify me of updates, but as soon as I post this I am going to double check.)

I do realize there are a number of work arounds for this, but I would really like to get the root of the problem if possible.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:41:55 pm

There are several workflow issues I would like to address.

But first:
Your issue is probably due to how the audio streams are set up in the MPEG file.

That being said, why are you exporting in that format? That doesn't match the codec that your Canon used in the first place (the 7d records with the H.264 codec [MPEG-4]), nor is it useful in any sort of production workflow.

I would really like to discourage you from using MPEG as an intermediate file format. H.264 (and all MPEG variants) use interframe compression which is very inefficient for AE and it doesn't work with them very well.
And also, it uses compression.
Compression in the middle of your workflow is bad.

Cineform (free from GoPro) or DNxHD (free from Avid) are two excellent codecs that are visually lossless, but significantly smaller than an uncompressed file. They are much more suited for use as an intermediate.

HOWEVER,
Unless you're doing something you haven't mentioned, there is no reason for you to be rendering anything out of Premiere at all. You can just import your Premiere project into AE directly. You will have access to each cut on its own layer in AE! This is much easier than working on the full cut.

(You can also have your Premiere project brought into AE as a direct link which has the benefit of changes in Premiere being reflected in AE, but it also means you don't have access to the separate layers of your Premiere cuts.)

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Britt WarrenRe: No audio on imported mpeg
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:01:27 pm

Michael, thank you for the time you've put into your response.

We have a recurring client who demands their videos be delivered SD (cringe) so I have always exported my HD timeline from Premiere with matched sequence settings, and compressed that file in After Effects to meet that request. This is what I was shown to do when I started at my place of employment, and very well may not be the most efficient method. I think the idea is to still have a hi-res HD version on hand if they ever want it compressed differently. That way we wouldn't have to reopen the entire Premiere project.

As for the sequence set up, I am using the DSLR 1080p24 preset in Premiere which, in theory, seemed like it should be the best option. This preset defaults to MPEG and does not offer another option. However, I appreciate your insight, and will definitely research other options.

Back to the original topic, an interesting tid bid is that I imported the same file into After Effects CC on a different machine, and rendered with audio with no problem. That is truly mind boggling, but an OK work around for now.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:08:49 pm

[Britt Warren] "an interesting tid bid is that I imported the same file into After Effects CC on a different machine, and rendered with audio with no problem."
That is an interesting tidbit. Perhaps one of your machines has a codec issue (or maybe it just needs to be rebooted).

[Britt Warren] "I am using the DSLR 1080p24 preset in Premiere which, in theory, seemed like it should be the best option. This preset defaults to MPEG and does not offer another option."

That sequence setting in Premiere will be that format for its previews, yes, but you don't want that for your final render for anything!

[Britt Warren] "I have always exported my HD timeline from Premiere with matched sequence settings, and compressed that file in After Effects to meet that request."

Premiere often does a better job at scaling than After Effects. You could render out an intermediate file (as I mentioned previously) for archive.
Then render the final, deliverable format, but resized. You can either specify the output video's size in Premiere's export settings or you can create a sequence at the correct settings for your client's needs and nest your HD sequence in it.

You can use the Maximum Quality tick box in Premiere to trigger a higher-quality rescaling algorithm, but this may not even be needed.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: No audio on imported mpeg
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:49:22 pm

> Premiere often does a better job at scaling than After Effects.

That used to be true. Not now. The improved scaling features in After Effects CC (12.x) added last year put After Effects back into the lead.

Yes, we have a little sibling rivalry here. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2014 at 8:48:14 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "That used to be true. Not now. The improved scaling features in After Effects CC (12.x) added last year put After Effects back into the lead.

Yes, we have a little sibling rivalry here. ;-)"

I said, "often," thinking back over time. :P

We're talking downsampling anyway, so it's unlikely to matter too much, right?
I'm pretty sure Premiere would be faster for his workflow. Especially if he sets up the Adobe Media Encoder to do his HD archive version and his SD downscaled version simultaneously.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Paul EkertRe: No audio on imported mpeg
by on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:58:42 am

I can confirm this behaviour in Premiere Pro CC.

7D or 5Diii footage exported using PP media export or media encoder. Tick box 'Match Sequence Settings' selected, all other options subsequently greyed out.

Exported clip plays in windows with audio.

Imported into PP. File in Bin indicates no audio in file. Dragged to timeline and as expected only the video track was populated with nothing in the audio track area.

Regardless of the pros & cons for this particular workflow, I would expect media exported from PP using this particular tick box to be playable inside PP on reimport.

Otherwise this means the tick box has limited functionality.

Possibly a bug? Can anyone at Adobe reproduce this behaviour?

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]