COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Blutstein
Cache vs Media. SSD vs HDD
on Apr 22, 2014 at 3:13:34 pm

I have 2 hard drives:

1TB Velocyraptor HDD
500GB Samsung Evo SSD

I am trying to decide which to use for my original media and files, and which to use as the cache.

I am aware there is a write limit on the SSD, so should i use the HDD for cache?
I am also aware this takes a while to hit the write limit, but most of the disk would be dedicated as purely the cache and nothing else.

On the other hand, I have heard it is much faster to use an SSD for cache, plus you want your original files on a HDD as they are more reliable.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Cache vs Media. SSD vs HDD
on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:48:41 pm

Put the cache on the SSD. Speed matters to the cache (both pure read/write performance and latency).

The SSD write limit is hugely overstated:

http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-updat...

After writing 500TB of data -- the equivalent of 140 GB of data every day for 10 years -- the consumer-class Samsung 840 250 GB has lost the ability to write to about 1% of its usable capacity. And that's the worst stat in test.

My SSDs will fail someday, but so too will my mechanical hard drives. I don't expect 10 years out of them.

[Mike Blutstein] "On the other hand, I have heard it is much faster to use an SSD for cache, plus you want your original files on a HDD as they are more reliable."

I would not make the blanket statement that either HDDs or SSDs are more reliable. No matter what kind of drive you have your assets on, you should have a backup plan. One copy of data is way too close to zero copies of data for my taste.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]