ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dragging of layer does not work anymore in After Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris wongDragging of layer does not work anymore in After Effect
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:29:58 am

HI,
I am using After Effect CS6 on a daily basis. Today I am doing the same simple action - dragging stuffs from the project panel to the Timeline below, but suddenly, really, SUDDENly I couldn't. All it does is displacing the rainbow circle of my Mac, nothing else.

I thought it is mainly the problem of Dragging, so I looked all over the place on the internet to find a solution to this. No luck. After importing anything, I cannot drag any layer in my project to the Timeline, or to the Composition panel (to show in the Composition panel, double clicking is still fine). In order to move down tot he Timeline, now I have to first right click and tell it to move to the composition, then, move the layer up or down in the Timeline, by Command + ] or Command + [ . But that is more steps, more time consuming, and very different from what I want. Now, without the dragging function, I don't know how to Replace a layer by another to take over the assets of that old layer, for instance.

Then, the more I try, I found out that maybe it is not Just the issue of Dragging and Dropping, because, I haven't even started dragging ( at least I don't feel myself having the motion yet ) and the little watch and then the little rainbow circle of my Mac already shows up, and the rainbow circle just takes forever going on and on and on, so each time I end up force quitting After Effect.

Please, can anyone tell me how to solve this Dragging disaster?

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Dragging of layer does not work anymore in After Effect
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:10:34 pm

Purging the memory may fix it for you.

If not, do a memtest. You may have bad ram. Could be a lot of other things, but that is certainly a possibility.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

chris wongRe: Dragging of layer does not work anymore in After Effect
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:06:58 pm
Last Edited By chris wong on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:19:05 pm

Thanks for the response. I found the purge>All Memory. But, it does not fix it... Any other suggestion?

Return to posts index

chris wongRe: Dragging of layer does not work anymore in After Effect
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:52:20 pm

Since it is considered to be a matter of ram and memory, I tried shutting down the laptop, and then start again, the Dragging function came back to me !!!!!!
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kevin DooleyRe: Dragging of layer does not work anymore in After Effect
by on May 14, 2015 at 5:49:03 pm

I just had this same issue - couldn't reorder layers, drag new layers on, or drag an object to replace a current layer. Tried everything mentioned here and nothing work... Then I had another oddity with my workspace (the project window disappeared while dragging it). I reset my workspace and everything went back to normal.

Kevin Dooley
Media Director
Pantego Bible Church

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]