ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shadow render Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill HilfertyShadow render Problem
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:50:27 am

Hi guys,

I am having a slight problem when it comes to rendering and viewing shadows. They look very hard and unnatural as if there is some kind of error. However when I am actually adjusting any settings within my comp, the shadows display as normal ONLY while I am making an adjustment. As soon as the adjustment is made the shadow goes back to being the hard mess.

The first screenshot is what is being rendered and what I see, the second screenshot is what I want the shadow to look like and what I see whenever I am making an adjustment. Why could it be doing this only when I am adjusting?

Note that this is going to be an animated movie poster of sorts.

Return to posts index

Bill HilfertyRe: Shadow render Problem
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:08:52 am

A Little update, It seems like the problem is only when it is at full resolution, however they are rendering with the blocky shadows still.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Shadow render Problem
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:51:21 am

Are you using the terms preview and render interchangeably?

The dark/flat shadows are what you should expect with the Fast Draft, Fast Preview setting enabled. The softer shadows will appear only with Adaptive or Off (Final Quality) Fast Preview settings.

Regardless of the Fast Preview settings used while working, only the Final Quality setting will be used during a render; unless you override this default behavior in the Render Settings dialog.

Of course all this takes into account that your Light/Shadow settings are set for such shadows.

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved