ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha tracker problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zool filmsMocha tracker problem
by on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:46:00 am

Hi guys,
I've used Mocha to track subjects quite a bit in the past but for some reason am having trouble with a particular clip. It's a black shape on a bright purple lit background so it should be a really easy track. I've tried lots of things but it still won't track. I'm using the planar tracker.

Could there be anything I am missing? Something obvious?

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha tracker problem
by on Apr 21, 2014 at 12:47:02 pm

Unfortunately, you've not provided us with any information with which to assist you with your issue(s). I suggest that you post the original clip and provide screen captures of the -
1) tracking spline
2) tracking related parameters in mocha
and explain clearly, what happens during the tracking.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

chris whiteRe: Mocha tracker problem
by on Apr 21, 2014 at 1:02:33 pm

Hi Roland,
I have tried many different ways of applying the splines. Here is a still of the sequence I have. The head travels up the screen but every which way I try it won't track to the image. Yet if I pull in a more complex harder shot to track it does it fine.

Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha tracker problem
by on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:10:03 pm

Oddly enough, mocha's tracker can sometimes fail on computer generated images that are "pure black or white". Mocha tracks patterns and pure black/white could throw it off.

That said I would recommend drawing a shape closely around the graphic and increasing the Minimum % of Pixels to 100.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:47:54 pm

Hi Ross,
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that might be the case. I may key out the back and add some kind of background to make it more complex and get the tracking data that way then and see if that works.

Thank you very much :)

Christopher

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha tracker problem
by on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:00:42 am

Hi Ross, I've had some good results from tracking flat colors with mocha. Chris, it's impossible to see/say what your issue is. All you've provided is a single image and absolutely no indication of the tracking/search parameters in mocha. Your tracking spline is also non-existent in the screen capture.

Your issue could be due to a fair number of causes but you've not provided sufficient information with which to assist you.

Common/Basic causes for poor tracking results are incorrect search parameters - for example setting the search/motion parameter to include perspective or shear when the tracked object doesn't display such characteristics. There is also the case of setting the % of pixels used to too low a value - as Ross has suggested, up this value to obtain better results under most circumstances.

Another common/basic issue pertains to drawing the tracking spline across two planes/surfaces with different movement characteristics.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:12:12 pm

Hi Ross,
I did try all of that. I tried many different ways of tracing with the splines nothing worked. I tried the point tracker within AE too, no go. I did manage to get a track with the track mask though. Although I now need to get that tracking data from the mask to work with another layer! haha. I think that's a question for another thread ;)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mocha tracker problem
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 3:01:52 pm

That image looks like the point tracker in AE should be able to handle it with no problem, but you would have to tweak it a bit.

Where did you get this animation? There may be a way to get motion info from that program.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]