ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ram +ssd vs video card

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Salem Saberhaguenram +ssd vs video card
by on Apr 17, 2014 at 11:35:27 pm

Hello. First of all i apologize for my english. It's not very good... (and i hope i'm posting this in the right forum)

I'm a student from argentina.
I started working as a freelancer by making short opening titles for videos, slideshows and stuff like that
THe thing is while the rendering in my pc is horrible... my main problem is that when i make a heavy composition (let's say using particular, optical flares, and more than 30 layers of stuff) after effects becomes unusuable... it's like: click - wait - scroll - wait - click - wait.
And i wanted to make an upgrade to my pc...
I work with a

processor: I7 3770
mother: gygabyte g1 sniper m3
ram: 8gb gskill sniper 1600mhz
psu: coolermaster 500w (i know it's not powerful)
video: ati radeon HD 6850
HDD: 1tb WD 7200rpm black + 500 gb wd 5400rpm blue

i have the opportunity to either upgrade my video card to a 7870 or put 16gb extra ram+120gb SSD to my build. I've beeen reading a lot in forums but i wanted to be sure... If i upgrade ram and ssd... will after effects work more fluently?

i think it's important to say that i use 2 monitors (usually one with after and another with youtube or something like that, but i tried with one monitor only and the problem doesn't go away) and that i use this pc for everything... i know it's not the best idea but here we have taxes to technology, and our currency isn't worth much (imagine every component price multiplied by 7-10... that's the price we pay for tech stuff) so i can't afford 2 pcs... (so using a solo-nvidia quadro pc is kinda out of the question for the moment)...

so... basically, i wanted to know if going from 8 to 24 gb ram and getting a 120gb ssd will improve the flow of after effects more than getting a new classic-nonvideoediting video card...

thank you very much for your time andreally... i'm sorry for my horrible english....

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: ram +ssd vs video card
by on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:20:02 am

The video card does not help with rendering or workflow, other than in the following cases:

1) Ray Tracing and the video card is an nVidia CUDA card with sufficient VRAM.

2) Some effects, like Optical Flares can use the GPU for processing and speed workflow and renders.

IMO more RAM and an SSD cache drive will give you a better performance boost.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: ram +ssd vs video card
by on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:44:34 am

I agree with Brian. RAM and SSD will offer more of a performance increase in most cases than a new GPU.

But there's a lot you can do to improve performance by changing your workflow, instead of or in addition to changing your hardware:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Salem SaberhaguenRe: ram +ssd vs video card
by on Apr 19, 2014 at 4:41:03 am

thank you both... i saw those recommendations but i never set them... i will format my pc and set it up nicely...

and i'll go with the ssd+ram... (here u have to buy as soon as you can, in the last 2 months the price of a wacom intuos small went from 1500 argentinian pesos to 4200 because... (like going from 100 to 300 dollars) taxes for being technology...
so i was wondering what should i go first (because the other one will rise it's price before i can afford it)

thank you both again...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved