ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about technique

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John SmithQuestion about technique
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:44:43 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to After Effects. I have a question about a technique I've seen in the following video for Cancer Treatment Centres of America by Rob Ward.

In this piece they've used this continuous line-drawing to tell a story. From what I can see, the animator has used a stroke mask to reveal the images, but it was the way the line drawing morphed into other shapes that I was trying to figure out. Is this something can be easily achieved in After Effects, or does it require more traditional and more (time-consuming!) animation techniques? Thanks a lot for your time guys!

Return to posts index

James HuenergardtRe: Question about technique
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:43:34 pm

Not sure there is an 'easy/straightforward' way to create this style in After Effects.

You could get something similar, but not as complex using the stroke effect and masks, but there was a LOT of work behind the scenes in those.
Either someone hand drawing them, or hand animating the masks and stroke to make it all work.

Reel Inspirations -
Commercials, Dramas, Image Pieces, Documentaries, Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

John SmithRe: Question about technique
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:56:04 pm

Thanks James, appreciate the swift reply!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Question about technique
by on Apr 19, 2014 at 3:55:23 pm

It's very possible that this is sort of an offshoot of rotoscoping, in that the video or visual reference was put together in an extended comp, and then the comp was used as a guideline for the animated paint. This would make it much easier to achieve than say, from a storyboard. Still a tedious and involved job. And a very creative approach to an uncomfortable topic.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved