ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking in Mocha Skews image in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordon HerdmanTracking in Mocha Skews image in After Effects
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:59:43 am

So I'm using mocha to put an image on to the ground, sounds simple right? Well I've gone through some tutorials and even done a similar process before and it's worked but now I'm not sure what's going on. I'm a little new and I have a good knowledge but little practice behind all this, any who.

So I have two good tracks in Mocha for two different images, when I copy and paste "After Effects Corner Pin" data it comes out skewed and not usable by any means. I just want to make the circles I have (you'll see in the images) lay on the ground in front of both my actors.

Also, if I have two tracks how do I know which data I'm copying to the clipboard?

Any help is much appreciated and remember pain is temporary, film is for ever!

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Tracking in Mocha Skews image in After Effects
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:15:27 pm

It looks like your image graphic was not the same size as the AE composition. There are multiple ways to fix and troubleshoot this:

1. Check the surface (blue box in mocha) - is it positioned where you want to graphic to be?

2. Instead of your graphic - try creating a new solid that is the same size as your AE composition.
Paste the track data to this new solid. If it is in the right place, than your issue is the graphic size. You can resolve this be scaling this to the full comp size, then precomping before you paste track data.

Alternately, you can use the "Align surface" button in mocha which scales the track to full frame and allows you to corner pin and place your logo into proper scale and placement. Make sure to precomp.

3. I believe you are missing something with the 2 search areas in mocha. mocha will only export the track data for 1 layer. If you need multiple search areas to solve the track, than you should be using the X+ button to create a second search shape in 1 layer. Meaning: this 2 search layers are only driving 1 surface.

I hope this helps. mocha is far easier to make work than most people think. You may want to watch the tutorial here:

Also - MochaImport+ is a script that can help get past some of AE's corner pin limitations. It is not essential but I know many AE users that swear by it:

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Jordon HerdmanRe: Tracking in Mocha Skews image in After Effects
by on Apr 17, 2014 at 6:39:34 am

I've had only a few good tracks before this but only now mocha has decided to give me grief. Thank you very much for everything that REALLY helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved