ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can paint layers be merged?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cain NukeCan paint layers be merged?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:15:00 pm
Last Edited By Cain Nuke on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:21:11 pm

Hi,

sorry if im not using the correct term and if my explanation is not clear enough. Please see the image below for a more graphic explanation.

http://i.imgur.com/462Pln9.png?1

you know that as you paint, you get a lot of these layer-like entries on the layer pane such as clone 12, eraser 30, etc.I would like to know if its possible to merge all of them in one since it would be much easier to handle that way.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can paint layers be merged?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:44:32 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:11:11 pm

Well, they ARE merged together: in the layer.

If we know what you are attempting to do by merging something has already been merged, we could probably be more helpful.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cain NukeRe: Can paint layers be merged?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:37:04 pm

Its just for the sake of simplicity. Lets say i use the eraser 1000 times, its gonna get very crowded down there so if i merge everything into one single thing it will be easier to handle.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can paint layers be merged?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 8:01:59 pm

If the response was, "I want to paint the same stuff but on a different layer," there would have been an easy way to do it.

But just to consolidate brush strokes and erasures? Not really. I can suggest to use masking or a track matte to accomplish the same thing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony DupstaRe: Can paint layers be merged?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:13:21 pm

Hey Cain,

No they can not be merged down. I agree that this would be a nice feature to flatten your stokes or bake them down in comp. My comps have gotten very heavy with hundreds of strokes in the past and it can get slow.
Two similar solutions I can offer:
One is to of-course bake that comp out, re-import, that will indeed merge them! :)
However something you can try; make sure all your paint strokes are inside the same comp. Right click on that comp in the project window and and you can see that the comp, not footage, but comp, can become a proxy. So you can bake the comp down into an image sequence and than assign that heavy paint comp, with tons of strokes, into one image seq that you can toggle on and off for further modifications, much lighter but requires organization and media management. That is my suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]