ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

A funky pixel dimension, with 2K import and 3.00:1 aspect ratio....

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
estelle baylis
A funky pixel dimension, with 2K import and 3.00:1 aspect ratio....
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:23:00 am

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma and was hoping I could pick your brains!

I'm about to start working on a film which will be played out on a screen size 3240X1080 pixels, aspect ratio 3.00:1. The film is a mixture of live action and graphics, with all graphics being created and comped in After Effects.

The first dilemma for me is I've been told it's to be shot in 2K. I'm already concerned that the physical dimensions are shorter than the actual screen size. However, am I right in thinking we can push into 2K without losing resolution? Or should I be recommending we use 4K instead?

The second dilemma for me is ensuring my aspect ratios match between AFX and the footage.

Really hope some one can start me off in the right direction! It's a new one for me so any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Best wishes,
Estelle

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: A funky pixel dimension, with 2K import and 3.00:1 aspect ratio....
on Apr 15, 2014 at 2:33:38 pm

Remember frame aspect ratio is different than pixel aspect ratio.

I would assume that 3240X1080 is a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio and that they're using the 3:1 ratio much like HD is 16:9.

Even if they use anamorphic (2:1 pixel aspect ratio) Premiere and AE will desqueeze it to the right dimensions with a 1:1 pixel.

Also 3240X1080 will require 2K to be resized. 3240 also isn't a dimension for a 4K projector so the output will have letterboxing on all sides, unless this is for some custom display like 2 HD TVs side by side.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

estelle baylis
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:44:00 pm

Thanks Angelo! After a few conversations with some other people, looks like we'll be using 4K. Looks like we'll have to crop into the picture but seems a safer solution. Phew!

But still, thanks for the Aspect Ratio tips :)

E.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:36:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:42:23 pm

Hmmmm.... how is this going to be played back?
What is the ultimate playback device?
What's the DISPLAY device, too? Something like 3 HD TV sets side-by-side?
From a directorial and post perspective, is this being treated as one super-wide screen or three HD screens?
What are the delivery specifications for your your completed AE work?
With such odd horizontal and vertical dimensions, surely someone has thought about playback, haven't they? Please say "yes"....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:58:04 pm

A 3:1 screen format is very common in large screen presentations to a live audience. It is a Standard panoramic size from screen manufacturers for front or rear projection - 30'x10' or 45'x15'. By 'Standard' size, I mean ex-stock.

Back in the multi-35mm slide projector days, worldwide, we used to do it with 3 stacks which we called Left, Centre, Right or LCR, with each stack overlapping the adjacent stack by 50%. Soft-edged 35mm masks were commonly sold by Kodak, Wess and DSC for 50% overlaps. Nowadays with LCD/DLP/LCOS projectors, a 3:1 screen format can be covered easily by 2 projectors.

Chances are playback is from software such Dataton Watchout, AvStumpfl Wings Platinum or Renewed Vision's ProVideoPlayer, or hardware such as those from Barco's Spyder, Coolux Pandora's Box, Analogway, Green Hippo's Hippotizer, etc.

The specs would two 1920x1080 projectors overlapping each other by 600 pixels, i.e. 31%, therefore a total width of 3240 pixels; ((1920*2)-600). The split would be sent to the display hardware by the control program if the playback device(s) can comfortably handle one 3240x1080 file. Else the people renting out the playback devices may do a pre-split into 2 video files for synchronized playback from 2 devices.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]