ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can i use connect layer plugin but i want to use my own line from illustrator file?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodetyo Prastcan i use connect layer plugin but i want to use my own line from illustrator file?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:02:38 am

hello eveybody . i am Prast from Indonesia. i will ask something about using connect layer plugin.
but i want to use my own line from illustrator file.
can i?
somebody please help me.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: can i use connect layer plugin but i want to use my own line from illustrator file?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:05:11 pm

I've used this script extensively. It generates the lines into shape layers which are filled with expressions to track the anchor points of the layers you're connecting. When you convert Illustrator artwork to shape layers it does a pretty good job, but for gradients and stroke effects, it's a no go. Why do you want to use your line from Illustrator? You can create dashed lines with shape layers up to 5 unique dashes I think. I usually just add the dashs after ConnectLayers creates my paths.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Rodetyo PrastRe: can i use connect layer plugin but i want to use my own line from illustrator file?
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 9:48:08 am

hi jason. how do you do. thanks for reply my question.
what script do you use?
could you explain to me?
the reason i use line from Ai file because my client want it exactly the same with the sample. as well as the line represent the brand.
so i can't use my own line from Ae.
it is my client want, See . See 01:18 for an example. The lines are turning slowly in 3 dimensions.

thanks. btw nice job in your vimeo

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: can i use connect layer plugin but i want to use my own line from illustrator file?
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:55:30 pm

Ah well, for that you'll need the Plexus plugin. That is, in fact, how they accomplished the 3d move and perspective aware lines (lines closer to camera are thicker than lines further away) in the example video you shared. But even with Plexus, you can't use custom lines like from an AI file. What's so unique about the line your client wants that can't be created in After Effects? If it's just the 3d perspective they want, then I'd go with Plexus or fake it with ConnectLayers in a RayTraced comp to extrude the lines - you actually just bevel the line with a concave bevel and don't extrude it all I thin, but that way when it rotates it's not completely flat.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]