ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

character animation - DUIK, parenting problem?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Lowecharacter animation - DUIK, parenting problem?
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:56:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to After Effects, I've been using it for a month or so (CS6). I have been voraciously reading/viewing tutorials, and I'm currently working on a basic character animation, and trying to use the DUIK inverse kinetics script.

I have the script installed correctly in AE, and have been trying to follow FAMOS' DUIK tutorial. My current project has a character I drew directly in AE with separate shape layers for the main body parts (head, torso, R and L upper arms, R and L forearms, R and L hands, pelvis, R and L thighs, R and L calves, and R and L feet). I set all the anchor points for these body parts at the point of rotation for each part. I parented each layer/body part according to the video tutorial and Rob Bellon's infographic. Using the DUIK script, I created nine controllers (master, head, shoulders, torso, pelvis, right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot). I parented these controllers according to the tutorial and infographic as well. Sorry for the long setup, just trying to explain how I got to my current state.

My problem is this - I select the left foot, then the left calf, then the left thigh, and finally the controller for the left foot. I then use the DUIK script to create an IK. At this point, the IK is created, but when I try to move the leg as a whole using the controller, the leg does not stay connected to the pelvis...the entire arm moves around the composition when I move the controller around. The same thing happens with the arms, etc.

I saw a similar post to this in these forums, and the suggestion was to pre-comp each layer. I have tried to play around with this but still am not having any luck.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: character animation - DUIK, parenting problem?
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:33:10 am

It's near impossible to know what the issue is without more details. But I'd take a guess that you've not placed the Anchor Point at the point of rotation prior to parenting the layers. Yes?

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Matthew LoweRe: character animation - DUIK, parenting problem?
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 10:45:01 pm

No, I actually did set up all the anchor points before doing any parenting. However, the issue seems to have fixed itself. I was trying out moving the torso and shoulder controllers, and when I went back (without making any other changes to parenting or anything else) to trying to move the arms and legs they are not staying in place. I'm not sure exactly how it got corrected, but I'll take it for now!

Matt Lowe
Aspiring Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved